Sulcata and Leopard similarities

edricivan

Just curious, do leopards and sulcatas thrive under the same conditions? I ask because it looks that way on @Tom 's care sheet. I've been asking around tortoise keepers here and it seems a lot of them have high hatchling fail rates for leopards.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Just curious, do leopards and sulcatas thrive under the same conditions? I ask because it looks that way on @Tom 's care sheet. I've been asking around tortoise keepers here and it seems a lot of them have high hatchling fail rates for leopards.

Yes. Very similar. Stars too. I think Red foot tortoises would do well in my tropical set ups also, but I don't raise those since my outdoor environment is too hot and dry here for adults.

Here is the reason for why they fail:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/hatchling-failure-syndrome.23493/

Basically its because most breeders don't keep them humid and hydrated enough. This problem is most common in sulcatas, leopards and California desert tortoises, because most people mistakenly believe that these species need dry desiccating conditions, even as hatchlings. They don't. They need hydration and proper shelter, just like every other species.