sulcata and mulberries

samsmom

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
CedarCreekLake, Texas
i'm not having any luck finding a fruitless mulberry tree so i'm thinking about just getting a red mulberry and planting it in a part of the yard where we could put up a barrier of some sort to keep samson from eating the fruit that falls to the ground. i don't really think there would be much fruit that wouldn't get eaten either by the birds or squirrels. anyone have any suggestions, concerns or opinions for that?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Wait for the fruitless variety. The fruiting ones are a disgusting mess even after the birds and squirrels are done with it. And speaking of birds, your car will be streaked with purple tinted poop if you have a fruiting mulberry tree nearby.

samsmom

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
CedarCreekLake, Texas
Wait for the fruitless variety. The fruiting ones are a disgusting mess even after the birds and squirrels are done with it. And speaking of birds, your car will be streaked with purple tinted poop if you have a fruiting mulberry tree nearby.[/QUOTE
i don't have alot of patience but if you say wait then wait i must cause i know you wouldn't lead me astray!!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
My garden center offered to special order them for me. They told me that the mulberries have fallen out of favor because the roots tear up concrete and house foundations, so people don't want to buy them. I plant them in the middle of large dirt areas, so this is not an issue for me. You might ask a few places if they will order you what you need.

samsmom

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
CedarCreekLake, Texas
My garden center offered to special order them for me. They told me that the mulberries have fallen out of favor because the roots tear up concrete and house foundations, so people don't want to buy them. I plant them in the middle of large dirt areas, so this is not an issue for me. You might ask a few places if they will order you what you need.
thanks, thats a great idea! i plan to plant it at the back of our yard well away from the house, driveway...