Sulcata aspiration pneumonia

Melis

Location (City and/or State)
Maryland
I've written a few threads to try to get info on my sulcata. She has a bladder stone and had stopped eating, so a feeding tube was inserted a few weeks ago. She was gaining weight and becoming more active until last week when we had a recheck for her eye (which was accidentally poked with the anesthesia needle when inserting the feeding tube). After that visit she threw up her food and medicine( .5 cc allopurinol to decrease uric acid). I stopped feeding and was only giving her medicine. She became extremely lethargic. I took her back to the vet today. They did an X-ray to make sure the feeding tube hadn't moved. But it appears that the stone has moved close to her stomach and could be the reason she was throwing up her food and medicine. It appears as though she aspirated and now has pneumonia. They are keeping her to see what our next steps can be. Does anyone have any experience with any of this? I am desperately trying to find some story of success to hold onto, as things are not looking good for my girl

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Wow, I'm so sorry this has happened. I can't help with this, just want to wish you and your shelled one great luck.
@Yvonne G has rehabbed many torts, maybe she can help.

Bee62

Germany
Is there no possibility to remove the bladder stone now in a OP ?
I know your tort should get stronger before the OP but when she is getting more and more worse and sick ?

Sometimes bladder stones in humans can be destroyed into smaller pieces with ultrasonic waves. Could this be a possibility for your tort ? Would you ask your VET ? It is interesting for me to hear his opinion.

Melis

Maryland
Thank you both for the responses. The vet has said from the beginning that it is too large to pass on her own, or to try to break up.

The vet called me today. They took blood yesterday and the results came back today and her uric acid went down tremendously so the medicine and prolonged soakings are working. They started to treat for pneumonia (I was so distraught I didn't think to ask what type of antibiotics). But she spit up her medicine again for the uric acid. The vet wants me to start considering my options :(
I don't want to give up on her but I also don't want her to suffer. I'm so torn on what to do. We decided to try a few more days of the injectable antibiotics to see if that will help her in any way in order to keep the medicine down.

Bee62

Germany
Thank you both for the responses. The vet has said from the beginning that it is too large to pass on her own, or to try to break up.

The vet called me today. They took blood yesterday and the results came back today and her uric acid went down tremendously so the medicine and prolonged soakings are working. They started to treat for pneumonia (I was so distraught I didn't think to ask what type of antibiotics). But she spit up her medicine again for the uric acid. The vet wants me to start considering my options :(
I don't want to give up on her but I also don't want her to suffer. I'm so torn on what to do. We decided to try a few more days of the injectable antibiotics to see if that will help her in any way in order to keep the medicine down.

Is the VET thinking about an OP ?
When your tort spits up her medicine she will also spit up her food as well. She will starve if there is no possibility to changes these circumstances.

Shaif

Pittsburgh, PA
I'm very sorry you are going through this. Very sorry.

I don't have any advice-- this is way above my knowledge level, but I'm hoping and wishing for the best outcome for you!

Melis

Maryland
Is the VET thinking about an OP ?
When your tort spits up her medicine she will also spit up her food as well. She will starve if there is no possibility to changes these circumstances.

She doesn't think she would be strong enough at this point for the surgery. So the hope is that these antibiotics will help the pneumonia symptoms so we can at least get the medicine for the uric acid into her. Then we will. Enable to discuss the surgery.
No changes as of today. She's not showing any improvement, but she's also not any worse. So fingers crossed.

Melis

Maryland
I'm very sorry you are going through this. Very sorry.

I don't have any advice-- this is way above my knowledge level, but I'm hoping and wishing for the best outcome for you!
Thank you so much. It's so nice here just to be around people who share the same passions.

Kasia

Poland
She doesn't think she would be strong enough at this point for the surgery. So the hope is that these antibiotics will help the pneumonia symptoms so we can at least get the medicine for the uric acid into her. Then we will. Enable to discuss the surgery.
No changes as of today. She's not showing any improvement, but she's also not any worse. So fingers crossed.
Hi
I have been following this thread.
I keep mine fingers crossed for you both.
From mine experience allopurinal supresses apetite. I treated mine Russian with gout. His uric acid went down but he has totally stopped eating. Blood results were better but overall he had gotten worse. After a Vet consult I took him of it and he started eating a bit again. He was not OK but at least he was able to sustain himself and buy some more time for a different treatment. Of course you have a different case but if it's about just getting him fit for a surgery and putting some food in him it's worth trying.

Melis

Maryland
I lost my precious tort Tort today. The vet called me to tell me she didn't make it through the night. I tried to do everything that I could and I only wish this forum was around 11 years ago when I got her. Thank you to those who responded for your kind words.

Kasia

Poland
I lost my precious tort Tort today. The vet called me to tell me she didn't make it through the night. I tried to do everything that I could and I only wish this forum was around 11 years ago when I got her. Thank you to those who responded for your kind words.
I am very sorry for your loss:(

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Hi. Am terribly sorry to hear that. :( If you need to "talk" , I am all listening ears. All you have to do is: send me a PM (private message). :<3:

And please, please try to take it easy, though I do know that words are easy.

Melis

Maryland
Hi. Am terribly sorry to hear that. :( If you need to "talk" , I am all listening ears. All you have to do is: send me a PM (private message). :<3:

Thank you so much. The majority of the people in my life think I'm crazy because I had a feeding tube inserted into a turtle. The thoughtfulness of everyone on this forum is so heart warming

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Hi. Am terribly sorry to hear that. :( If you need to "talk" , I am all listening ears. All you have to do is: send me a PM (private message).

Thank you so much. The majority of the people in my life think I'm crazy because I had a feeding tube inserted into a turtle. The thoughtfulness of everyone on this forum is so heart warming
No you are NOT crazy. I for one, am NOT AT ALL AN EMOTIONAL person. However, when Oli (my beloved Greek tort) doesn't eat, is restless, and so on, I go "nuts" so as to say. Therefore I do understand you.

Again: PM me, IF you like.

Bee62

Germany

I am so sorry for your loss.
A tortoise is a beloved pet like a cat or a dog. There is no difference. We all here understand how sad you are.
But you have tried all that you can to save your tortoise. It was not your fault that she died.
Please don`t blame yourself.
And if you want to speak you can send me a pm too.

Shaif

Pittsburgh, PA
I'm so so sorry. So sorry. You did so much for your tortoise. You are a caring soul.