Sulcata baby keeps flipping onto back

JoshSloane

Hey Everyone,

One two occasions when I have come in to check on my baby sulcata, he was on his back. There were no obstructions, or anything to cause him to flip over on. He was in the cool side of the cage, so luckily he wasn't under the heat lamp. One other time, when I was doing some maintenance on his enclosure, I watched him literally walk into one of the side walls and flip over onto his back.

Is this normal for a sulcata baby? I worry that while I am at work he will flip over and become dehydrated. Do they grow out of this?

Thanks!

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Jordan
Very sorry that your tort keeps flipping on his back.:( Would you please post pics of his enclosure? There might be something in the enclosure that you have not noticed, and is causing this-no offense, ok?:)

JoshSloane

When I found him both times he was on the left side of cage at least 1 foot away from anything.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I'm not trying to argue with you but its impossible for him to be away from something he had to flip for a reason unless someone's coming in flipping over he had to try to climb a wall the substrate maybe ubeven so he's flipping there something causing him to flip

JoshSloane

Right, that is what I said earlier...I actively watched him run into the wall and flip over.

Speedy-1

St. David Arizona
I'm not trying to argue with you but its impossible for him to be away from something he had to flip for a reason unless someone's coming in flipping over he had to try to climb a wall the substrate maybe ubeven so he's flipping there something causing him to flip

I would agree , maybe he is trying to climb up the wall or something and flops over ? Your picture didn't show up for me , so I couldn't say from that . :)

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan

I would agree , maybe he is trying to climb up the wall or something and flops over ? Your picture didn't show up for me , so I couldn't say from that . :)
Could be so. By the way I posted a "report concern" as far as the image is concerned.

Last edited by a moderator:

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
GetFileAttachment
Please try posting another pic of the enclosure: none of us received it.:(
Thank you.:)

Speedy-1

St. David Arizona
It looks as if your strata slopes to the glass , I think if it were more flat and level he wouldn't be able to climb high enough to flip over ? I also personally don't think much of the logs Speedy only flipped over once and it was because he climbed up on the log and rolled down , ending up on his back . When he outgrew it you could tell because I had a log walking around in my tank ! :D I will let someone else explain why your tank should be covered . :)

JoshSloane

There is no sloping of the substrate, it is just the angle that the picture was taken. And my tank is covered, it is a closed chamber

Speedy-1

St. David Arizona
Sorry that's the way it looked in the picture , I was just trying to help because you asked . I wasn't really trying to engage in an argument , I am sure you will figure it out . ;)

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
You could do with a few plants in there to make it more interesting for your tort and give him something to hide under and feel more secure. e.g spider plants.
See the Enclosures thread for ideas or www.thetortoisetable.org.uk for tort safe plants but if you buy from a store repot immediately and leave for a while so any chemicals from store soil will grow out. If you know any one with established chemical free safe plants maybe they can give you cuttings. Maybe better to leave in pots and sink in substrate so they can easily be replaced if nibbled or bulldozed.

kirsty Johnston

5 Year Member
Scotland
I'm not too sure but it could be your tort is seeing through the glass and trying to get through it. Glass can be confusing for torts lol :)
If he fell on the side with the glass might be worth covering the bottom a little bit more so he can't see through the glass?

JoshSloane

He actually cant see through the glass directly ahead of him. The barrier in the front of the cage is 6" high. It is confusing because when he flips over he is nowhere near the glass, or anything for that matter. I think he is running into the white walls and flipping.

kirsty Johnston

5 Year Member
Scotland
He actually cant see through the glass directly ahead of him. The barrier in the front of the cage is 6" high. It is confusing because when he flips over he is nowhere near the glass, or anything for that matter. I think he is running into the white walls and flipping.
Ahh ok that rules out the glass causing the problem if it's over at the other side. How deep is the substrate? He may be wanting to burrow but unable

kkrista123

Pennsylvania
Mine climbs on his hide log and then falls off onto his back

Hello! I know I am way late to this thread but my baby sulcata is climbing on top of his log hide and falling on his back. He isn't large enough to get on top of the hide so he just falls on his back every time he tries. Is there anything I can do?