Sulcata barely touches his grass

nguyenda

Location (City and/or State)
California
My 3.5 inch Sully rather eat his mixed greens (gallon bag I buy from reptile store): mustard greens, arugula, dandelion, and another green element also mallow from my backyard. He chews on the lawn clippings I give him but barely. Also the organic wheat grass I got him he barely touches it. He usually wakes up when I place greens in there for him. This morning not so much with his Zoo Med and grass. He just kinda stared at it and went back to sleep. After coming home with a new bag of mixed greens, he went instantly to it and munching on everything. What's the deal? How do I improve his diet, but getting the grass he needs?

Bambam1989

East Texas
Very young/small sulcatas can be slow to take a liking to grass. To get mine started I would cut the grass up very small and mix it with his damp weeds. The grass clippings stuck to the weeds and he would eat a little without meaning to. I would also mush up softened tort chow (mazuri for me) with finely cut grass. Over time (months) I started leaving the grass in larger pieces. My sulcata (almost 7 months) will happily eat grass now but still prefers to eat his weeds first..

Jay Bagley

Michigan
My 3.5 inch Sully rather eat his mixed greens (gallon bag I buy from reptile store): mustard greens, arugula, dandelion, and another green element also mallow from my backyard. He chews on the lawn clippings I give him but barely. Also the organic wheat grass I got him he barely touches it. He usually wakes up when I place greens in there for him. This morning not so much with his Zoo Med and grass. He just kinda stared at it and went back to sleep. After coming home with a new bag of mixed greens, he went instantly to it and munching on everything. What's the deal? How do I improve his diet, but getting the grass he needs?
My guy was picky with grass as well. If you wet his greens down, and cut the grass up fine with a pair of scissors it will stick to the wet greens and get eaten in the process. Over time you will be able to slowly introduce more and more grass and weeds.