Sulcata breathing loud at times

Danielle148

5 Year Member
Hi my 4 year old sulcata breathes heavy at times. We brought him inside for the winter and I'm not sure if I'm just pissing him off or if it could be an infection. If he sees me he will start breathing heavy if I spy on him he breathes fine. His nares are clear and dry. He is eating and having normal bowel movements. However he isn't eating as much I'm not sure if that is just because it's winter but he does eat. I've been feeding him mazuri. He is normally not indoors

vladimir

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Pennsylvania
Hi my 4 year old sulcata breathes heavy at times. We brought him inside for the winter and I'm not sure if I'm just pissing him off or if it could be an infection. If he sees me he will start breathing heavy if I spy on him he breathes fine. His nares are clear and dry. He is eating and having normal bowel movements. However he isn't eating as much I'm not sure if that is just because it's winter but he does eat. I've been feeding him mazuri. He is normally not indoors

Hello,

Where are you located? What's the room temperature indoors where he's staying? What kind of heat are you using?

I'm sure others will have advice also but that information will help give you the best advice.

Danielle148

5 Year Member
Hello,

Where are you located? What's the room temperature indoors where he's staying? What kind of heat are you using?

I'm sure others will have advice also but that information will help give you the best advice.
I'm loctated in southern California. The room he is staying in is around 70 f and I'm using a heat bulb basking area is 100 . I'm also using hay as substrate

vladimir

5 Year Member
Pennsylvania
I'm loctated in southern California. The room he is staying in is around 70 f and I'm using a heat bulb basking area is 100 . I'm also using hay as substrate

Are you able to raise the ambient temperature in the room (especially at ground level) up a little? Ideally the minimum ambient temperature for sulcatas is around 80F.

I use a oil filled radiator connected to a thermostat to regulate the temperature indoors for our sulcata.

theTurtleRoom

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lititz, PA
The lower temperatures is probably all that is causing his lowered appetite. Their metabolisms are tied directly to their body temperatures so as they slow down they eat less. I know that my Sulcata could be vocal as you describe when displeased so if you are only noticing this when he has seen you then that may very well be the issue, especially if he seems healthy otherwise as you describe.

As @vladimir suggests I would say to try and raise the ambient temps a bit and if any of those other health points change I would recommend getting him to a vet who specializes in reptiles.

Danielle148

5 Year Member
Are you able to raise the ambient temperature in the room (especially at ground level) up a little? Ideally the minimum ambient temperature for sulcatas is around 80F.

I use a oil filled radiator connected to a thermostat to regulate the temperature indoors for our sulcata.
Would a space heater be okay?

Danielle148

5 Year Member
The lower temperatures is probably all that is causing his lowered appetite. Their metabolisms are tied directly to their body temperatures so as they slow down they eat less. I know that my Sulcata could be vocal as you describe when displeased so if you are only noticing this when he has seen you then that may very well be the issue, especially if he seems healthy otherwise as you describe.

As @vladimir suggests I would say to try and raise the ambient temps a bit and if any of those other health points change I would recommend getting him to a vet who specializes in reptiles.
I made a vet appointment just to be sure! I'll update you guys on thursday