Sulcata Brumation ?

mark1

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
ohio
There isn't any. There is no study describing what happens when a tropical reptile is allowed to get cold in a temperate winter.
there may be no actual studies , but what happens during unusually cold weather in southern florida to some of the invasive tropical species is documented ...... some of them have pretty high death counts ..... also american crocodiles , in which southern florida is the northern most part of their natural range , do not fair well during unusually cold weather ........ they don't all die , but plenty do ........ american alligators take cold snaps without issue , similar animals , difference is alligators are built for it .......

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
there may be no actual studies , but what happens during unusually cold weather in southern florida to some of the invasive tropical species is documented ...... some of them have pretty high death counts ..... also american crocodiles , in which southern florida is the northern most part of their natural range , do not fair well during unusually cold weather ........ they don't all die , but plenty do ........ american alligators take cold snaps without issue , similar animals , difference is alligators are built for it .......
Good points. I had not thought of those.

Hippytort

10 Year Member!
Southern CA
I
I know that this can vary a lot and it also depends on soil composition, but I've been down AZ burrows and they were only 6-10 feet deep. Mine here in SoCal are usually 12-15 feet deep with a length of about 20-25 feet. I don't know why mine go deeper. It might be the absence of that AZ caliche soil.
guess I'm lucky, Mine never picked up on burrowing.