Sulcata cutting himself on his own shell

Kadels

5 Year Member
Chuck Norris the Tortoise, a Sulcata, has taken out a big chunk of his own skin. Apparently his shell was too sharp over his legs - one has a major injury, the other has to minor injuries. I left him with the vet to recuperate while I traveled. The vet prescribed .3 ml of oral antibiotics daily and a betadine soak.

My concern is the betadine - is it OK to soak him in this? He is roughly 3 years old.
Thanks!

Zeko

5 Year Member
Betadine should be used for only a short period of time. It can in theory over-sterilize an area and cause issues.

Put it on, leave it on for 10 min or so, and wash it off.

Also, I'm assuming he is cutting himself on the outside scute flares? Not everyone is going to agree, but I have see people file/sand them down so they are smoother (VERY LITTLE) so this doesn't happen.

I remember reading an article about a big sulcata who kept cutting himself on his front flares. They did the same thing. Maybe others can chime in on their experiences with this, as I'm basing mine on an article I read a long time ago.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I have no experience with this myself. However, I would do the same thing if it were me that Zeko suggested, the filing and with the betadine.

jeffb

5 Year Member
I have an 85 lb salcutta tortoise. I have had the same instance with mine in the past. His shell had some sharp edges and were cutting into his hind legs. I bought a set of wet/dry nail files with different grades of sand. I put him into the bathtub for a soak to slightly soften up his shell. Then use one of the files to just slighty take off the sharp edge so it is smooth instead of sharp. You needn't take off very much just the sharpness. You can round off the sharp edge until it is smooth. My tortoise new that I was doing some needed maintenance to him, and just closed his eyes until I was finished. He didn't seem to experience any discomfort whatsoever. Although I am of belief that they do have feelings in their shells. So just take off the bare minimum so its not cutting him. The happy tortoise.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Can you post some pictures of the tortoise? Will help us help you.

lighthiker2

5 Year Member
Please dilute the Bernadine with water to wash the wound to 1:9 to avoid overdrying the skin also

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Betadine is a great disinfectant to use initially, but when used repeatedly it also kills the new granulating tissue that is trying to grow and heal the wound. I would not soak a tortoise in Betadine, dilute or not. I would only apply it to the affected area topically and only once during the initial treatment.

I have never experienced this particualr issue, but Jeffb's advice seems sound to me.

Ivy_Blossom

Utah
I have an 85 lb salcutta tortoise. I have had the same instance with mine in the past. His shell had some sharp edges and were cutting into his hind legs. I bought a set of wet/dry nail files with different grades of sand. I put him into the bathtub for a soak to slightly soften up his shell. Then use one of the files to just slighty take off the sharp edge so it is smooth instead of sharp. You needn't take off very much just the sharpness. You can round off the sharp edge until it is smooth. My tortoise new that I was doing some needed maintenance to him, and just closed his eyes until I was finished. He didn't seem to experience any discomfort whatsoever. Although I am of belief that they do have feelings in their shells. So just take off the bare minimum so its not cutting him. The happy tortoise.

Did he end up with any sort of health issues or or problems after doing this? I am curious because my juvenile sulcata is having the same issue.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
Sulcatas can develop very sharp edges to their marginals. The issues seems to be that in the wild, they would be in and out of a burrow constantly and turning in a quite tight burrow - and these edges would be constantly worn down and never become sharp. I have a tile faced wall around most of the sulcata enclosure and their night house is made from block with stuccoed doorways they brush going in and out - so mine stay dulled around the edges. With wooden enclosure walls and no way to wear down, a filing down of sharp edges would be appropriate.

Ivy_Blossom

Utah
Sulcatas can develop very sharp edges to their marginals. The issues seems to be that in the wild, they would be in and out of a burrow constantly and turning in a quite tight burrow - and these edges would be constantly worn down and never become sharp. I have a tile faced wall around most of the sulcata enclosure and their night house is made from block with stuccoed doorways they brush going in and out - so mine stay dulled around the edges. With wooden enclosure walls and no way to wear down, a filing down of sharp edges would be appropriate.
Are there health issues that can arise from gently filing down and bunting those edges? Or any precautions or adverse effects that may occur?

mastershake

5 Year Member
Florida
I have had to do this on one male. there are no issues doing it as long as you only just round lightly off that sharp edge do not sand it off or go to deep i do know of someone who took in a rescue who had a flare turning down and curling most likely from bad care during growth. the vet had to properly trim that whole piece off but the sulcata was put under and it was done under sterile and proper conditions this is a very rare thing to see though for it to be that bad