Sulcata diet question

Status
Not open for further replies.

VaderWS6

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Kentucky
I'm going to be using a mercury vapor bulb for my Sulcata now, and was wondering if it would be ok to have it on for about 8 hours/day and supplement its diet with vitamin d3 (in the calcium powder)? I know the recommended photo period is around 12 hours/day with a uvb bulb, but what if I cut it back and supplement the d3 in its diet? What symptoms/illnesses can occur from too much d3? As far as daylight, its in a sun room (windowed), so it has natural light all day (minus the uvb which is blocked).

chadk

10 Year Member!
VaderWS6 said:
I'm going to be using a mercury vapor bulb for my Sulcata now, and was wondering if it would be ok to have it on for about 8 hours/day and supplement its diet with vitamin d3 (in the calcium powder)? I know the recommended photo period is around 12 hours/day with a uvb bulb, but what if I cut it back and supplement the d3 in its diet? What symptoms/illnesses can occur from too much d3? As far as daylight, its in a sun room (windowed), so it has natural light all day (minus the uvb which is blocked).

Actually cutting back the hours of the MVB (UVB) is no biggie and you should not use D3 at all with your UVB.

What I would do is find out when he tends to bask the most. Make sure that is when the light is on. 1/2 day should be fine. The rest of the 12 or so hours can be a normal light - just keep the temps right. I have found no studies that state how long a UVB light needs to be on each day. And if they are not basking in the UVB, then clearly it isn't helping. So using it for part of the day and ensuring your tort get's some good UVB basking time should be fine. Calcium carbonate and no D3 is all you need. Or use a cuttlebone.

Status
Not open for further replies.