Sulcata Diet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rhyno47

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Hagerstown, MD
I have a small sulcata, probably around 4 months old, and he is pretty picky. Ive heard on many sites that they need about 80-90% grasses but he probably only gets around maybe 10% grasses. The grass is "Pet Grass" the kind you get at pet stores, its organic and has no wheat gluten. The rest is composed mainly of romaine and leaf lettuce, dandelion leaves and hibiscus flowers. I do give him his calcium with D3 supplement too. Is that an ok diet? Everyone online seems to feed their sulcatas mosty if not all lettuce. So im just making sure.

Seiryu

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
SE Michigan
ryanseiler said:
I have a small sulcata, probably around 4 months old, and he is pretty picky. Ive heard on many sites that they need about 80-90% grasses but he probably only gets around maybe 10% grasses. The grass is "Pet Grass" the kind you get at pet stores, its organic and has no wheat gluten. The rest is composed mainly of romaine and leaf lettuce, dandelion leaves and hibiscus flowers. I do give him his calcium with D3 supplement too. Is that an ok diet? Everyone online seems to feed their sulcatas mosty if not all lettuce. So im just making sure.

Most people found tortoises under 1 usually don't eat much grasses or hays. Some do, some don't. I have a leopard and he is 4-5 months old as well and will ocassionally eat grasses that are chopped up. He's eaten it that way three times in the 2 weeks i've had him. He just isn't strong enough to tear off pieces yet.

But yes, once they CAN eat grasses they need at least 70% grasses. Then the other 30% is weeds, flowers, and other edible plants.

If he has a UVB light (which he should if inside) or if he goes outside, he doesn't need the calcium with D3. Too much can be bad. They make it themselves. Just get regular old calcium carbonate (power form) and sprinkle on things.

If he isn't eating much grasses. I and many others will suggest using Spring Mix. Most contain: romaine, oak leaf lettuce, frisee, endive, radicchio and many other good lettuces. You can get them at local grocery stores.

And to add in, you can also buy/grow collard greens, mustard greens, turnip greens, radish greens and pick dandelions/clovers from your yard too. Clovers and Mustard/Collard greens have medium oxalic acid levels and shouldn't be fed too often or in abundance.

Hope this helps!

M

Maggie Cummings

In my experience most Sulcata won't eat grass until they are well over 2 years old.
You can do like I do and walk around and collect weeds, blossoms and different leafs. I add them to a Spring Mix base with a variety of grocery store greens thown in. I cut up all of that tort salad into bite-sized pieces for little mouths. Then I sprinkle chopped salad type hay over the top of that mess. I cut it up and mix it all around so they can't pick out favorite pieces and leave the rest.
You do need to be careful with the D3 tho. I use it also but I don't have UVB bulbs over most of my animals. I put most of them outside daily. If they aren't getting UVB either from a bulb or the sun using a supplement with D3 is fine. But if they are getting UVB you maybe might not want use the D3...
Welcome to the group. Please continue to ask questions and we are looking forward to pictures of your tortoise and his habitat...

Status
Not open for further replies.