Sulcata Diets and where to buy it.

Stuart S.

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Paris, Texas
Yeah, do you have any uv lights for him from above?

SULCY

NEW YORK
Cover the top and the heat will stay in. Add a temp controller to turn the heat on and off at the correct temp. They are cheap and very important.

Whiplash4ever

Northern Illinois
Cover the top and the heat will stay in. Add a temp controller to turn the heat on and off at the correct temp. They are cheap and very important.

I can't cover the top without shutting off access from the light. I figure the light's more important than the heat at this point since I have heat going in from the bottom. It's just costing me money to run that damn space heater 24/7. That is the plan moving forward though, once I get his new enclosure built. Unfortunately, taking in Achilles was kind of sprung on me, so I wasn't able to have things prepared for him prior to his arrival.

Stuart S.

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Paris, Texas
I can't cover the top without shutting off access from the light. I figure the light's more important than the heat at this point since I have heat going in from the bottom. It's just costing me money to run that damn space heater 24/7. That is the plan moving forward though, once I get his new enclosure built. Unfortunately, taking in Achilles was kind of sprung on me, so I wasn't able to have things prepared for him prior to his arrival.

I understand that! And it sure does take a lot getting everything going initially as well!

Whiplash4ever

Northern Illinois
Another question I probably should have asked a long time ago.

How MUCH do you feed? I give this guy what I think is a pretty generous helping every morning but hell... I have no idea if it's enough, too much or not enough by half.

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
Another question I probably should have asked a long time ago.

How MUCH do you feed? I give this guy what I think is a pretty generous helping every morning but hell... I have no idea if it's enough, too much or not enough by half.

Sulcatas are grazers, so you should be feeding enough so that he has some left over, or have food available all day. If there’s some left over at the end of the day, you can just make the portion size is slightly smaller the next time. That’s just how I do it, anyway, so you should get a second opinion :)

vladimir

5 Year Member
Pennsylvania
Sulcatas are grazers, so you should be feeding enough so that he has some left over, or have food available all day. If there’s some left over at the end of the day, you can just make the portion size is slightly smaller the next time. That’s just how I do it, anyway, so you should get a second opinion :)

In my experience, if I keep enough out so he has food available to him all day, he will eat A LOT :p

Whiplash4ever

Northern Illinois
Okay, so far I have been able to find...

Bok Choy/Pak Choy/Chinese Cabbage/ Brassica rapa

Collard Greens/ Brassica oleracea

Turnip Greens/Brassica rapa/white turnip greens/turnip tops

Alfalfa Sprouts/ Medicago sativa/lucerne

Mustard Greens/ Brassica juncea/Indian mustard/Chinese mustard/leaf mustard

...from the "If You MUST Buy From The Store" list, but these others have evaded my search thus far. Where can I buy the rest? Specifically the grasses; Cat & Wheat?

Arugula/Eruca sativa/salad rocket/roquette/rucola/ rugula/colewort

Prickley Pear Cactus Pas/Oputunia Cactus/Nopales/Paddle Cactus

Grape Leaf /Vitis species

Clover Sprouts

Cat Grass/ Dactylis/ ****'s-foot/Orchard Grass

Wheat Grass/ Triticum aestivum

Dandelion

Destben

Kansas

...from the "If You MUST Buy From The Store" list, but these others have evaded my search thus far. Where can I buy the rest? Specifically the grasses; Cat & Wheat?

Clover Sprouts

Dandelion

I get my cat grass from the pet store and I order my cactus online.

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas

Clover Sprouts

Dandelion

I’ve found crops of wheat grass at Tom Thumb, and cactuses and bokchoy at Walmart.

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
I've tried Wal-Mart and Schnucks. No cactus at either. Bok Choy I found. Is Tom Thumb a website or a store?

Tomb thumb is a store, and I think cactuses just aren’t in season this time of year. I’m pretty sure you can still find cactus at Latino food stores, like Fiesta?

kjm88

Missouri
Hello,

I’m new to the forum but thought I’d respond.

If you get on Etsy the website a lot of people have cactus pads for sale and it’s cheap and easy.

Also not sure if anyone here is a big fan of Repashy products but I have found that Repashy - “Grassland grazer”, works really well in the winter months when grass is had to come by. And the protein to fiber ratio is good.

If anyone else has tried this product would love to know what you think.

IMG_0729.JPG

IMG_0732.JPG

Reptilony

QC, CAN
Hello,

I’m new to the forum but thought I’d respond.

If you get on Etsy the website a lot of people have cactus pads for sale and it’s cheap and easy.

Also not sure if anyone here is a big fan of Repashy products but I have found that Repashy - “Grassland grazer”, works really well in the winter months when grass is had to come by. And the protein to fiber ratio is good.

If anyone else has tried this product would love to know what you think.

View attachment 231582

View attachment 231583
I have this stuff, super easy to make, you put 3 water for 1 powder, put it in the microwave for 30 sec, put it in the freezer for 10 min and that's it. You can also keep it in the fridge for a good week. My baby sully loves it and it last a very long time.

MPappagallo

Myrtle Beach, SC
You can find arugula usually in any organic spring mix box from the the store, I have recently planted some cactus pads of my own but I typically pick up pads from the Hispanic grocery store.
Thanks for the tip on where to find cactus pads. I live in Myrtle Beach, SC...and although there are some cactuses in our area, they are not readily availabel in my area. The Mexican groceries are a perfect solution!