Sulcata doesn't eat fruits.

Status
Not open for further replies.

l0velesly

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Lynnwood, WA
I know fruits should only be 10-20% of a sulcata's diet but mine doesn't seem to eat any fruits at all. It sniffs it sometimes, and then walks away. I thought all tortoises love fruits!
I've been feeding it bok choy and collards. It only seems to eat greens. I'll let it outside to eat grass when the weather warms up (still cold here!!).
I've had it for about two months now. It's only six months old.

Is there a reason why my sully is not eating fruits? I only wanted to give it a little treat :( I tried kiwi, strawberries, and bananas. It must be a picky eater.

Missy

5 Year Member
Illinois
I never feed fruit. They do not need them so don't worry. Sounds like you need to feed more different kinds of greens and weeds. Spring mix is a good choice for young sulcatas. I use collards sparingly, I use mustard. Have you tried some shaved carrots or squash?

RV's mom

10 Year Member!
Phoenix, arizona
I agree with Missy. Spring mix is good to feed if grass isn't available.. If I offered fruit it was very sparingly... The spring mix is good, carrots or squash/pumpkin would be good for treating.. And if your sully doesn't want fruit now, it may later.

teri

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
lushcious said:
I know fruits should only be 10-20% of a sulcata's diet but mine doesn't seem to eat any fruits at all. It sniffs it sometimes, and then walks away. I thought all tortoises love fruits!
I've been feeding it bok choy and collards. It only seems to eat greens. I'll let it outside to eat grass when the weather warms up (still cold here!!).
I've had it for about two months now. It's only six months old.

Is there a reason why my sully is not eating fruits? I only wanted to give it a little treat :( I tried kiwi, strawberries, and bananas. It must be a picky eater.

You should be glad that your sulcata snubs fruit...it is not a part of their diet...at least, it shouldn't be!

A good breakdown of diet in captivity...this is a daily regimen! You can offer watermelon periodically throughout the summer...but not frequently. During the fall, you can offer pumpkin (seeds and all) weekly.

75% grasses and weeds
15% opuntia (prickly pear cactus)
10% Mazuri

M

Maggie Cummings

Sulcata's kidneys can't process sugar the way ours does. Fruit is not a good thing to feed them. I offer Bob a strawberry or a watermelon in the summer. But he is big and I feed him a wide varied diet so a bit of fruit won't hurt him.

Feed your baby Spring Mix with other dark greens mixed in. It's really good that you are trying to teach him to graze now. Offer him as much of a variety as you can, fruit shouldn't be a part of a small tortoise's diet. Here's a link for you to read about Sulcata diet, to help you out...

http://africantortoise.com/

http://www.chelonia.org/Articles/sulcatacare.htm

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I think no fruit desire is awesome...fruit is not so great....we do not have a sulcata..we have Ca Desert Tortoise so random fruits don't get offered here :) unless it is off of a cactus and that is way limited...I do have to mention that we too feed fresh pumpkin to our guys like twice a year (mainly to aid in clearing out potential parasites in digestive system) and we carefully remove the seeds az they can cause a variety of issues healthwise....I don't know if that is the same for sulcatas?

Jacob

5 Year Member
California
Thats Great, Possibly he doesnt have a taste for fruit yet! I Would Only Recommend Feeding Watermelon!

I Feed My Little Guy Spring Mix, Cactus, Collard Greens, Kale,dandelion, Muzuri, etc!
You want a Healthy varied diet! If Your Guy Eats Grass thats Great!

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
if its too cold to go outside now.; what are you going to do in a couple of years? he will need to be outside... 24-7..

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I agree. No fruit, more variety, lots of grasses and weeds...

Status
Not open for further replies.