Sulcata drinking water?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pga7602

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Los Angeles
I've always had a water bowl with charlie. Even now, he has a huge fresh water tray laying out in his enclosure. The odd thing is that I have never ever witness him drinking from a tray. I've seen him soak in it, but have never seen actual drinking.. I have seen him urinate like no other, but am not sure when he actually takes in water haha.

This is very different than my two aldabras. These guys are always drinking out of their water bowls. What gives?

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
I had my sulcata for 5 years before I actually saw him with his head in the water drinking.

pga7602

5 Year Member
Los Angeles
dmarcus said:
I had my sulcata for 5 years before I actually saw him with his head in the water drinking.

You have better eyes then... I've had him for 15 years!!!! lol

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
I still don't see him drink very often, I have water out for him but when I refill the bowl, I don't know if he has been drinking or if it just evaporated due to the heat.

Urtle

5 Year Member
I'm interested to know. My tortoise drinks every so often I believe, but I witness it hardly ever.

Texastort

10 Year Member!
I can always tell when mine drink because they have a cute wet face! But I agree its rare when I see them drink.

Katherine

5 Year Member
Mine drink on occasion, but I always leave water available for them just in case. More often then I catch them drinking I will find them laying in their water bowls just lounging in a voluntary 'soak.'

Dizisdalife

10 Year Member!
California
I have seen my sulcata's head go into his water dish and watched as the water level went down to where he couldn't get any more water. I thought I was going to hear those slurping noises that are made when drinking with a straw and there is too little drink in the cup. I have to admit that it is seldom that I see him actually take a drink. Like most everyone else I just see the evidence of his drinking.

drgnfly2265

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
FLORIDA
I've seen Bowser drink out of her water dish many times. That girl loves her water, lol :p

Katherine

5 Year Member
It was hot here today and all my big kids were drinking when I got home....it's like the knew I said I only see them sip occasionally.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I spend a lot of time with mine and I only rarely see them drink. I have a big pizza dough pan for them to drink from. It holds around 5 gallons, but its flat and shallow. When one takes a drink about a gallon and a half will suddenly be gone. It will sit there full for two or three days and then BOOM, it drops and inch.

celerityblur

5 Year Member
I've seen mine dip his head in the water occasionally when he's being soaked. But I also heard from my previous veterinarian that they absorb water through their cloaca to some extent.

Roxie

5 Year Member
Central FL
I was just wondering about this myself.

Frank lives outside and has two water bowls. One is a big black bowl set down into the ground and one is a white bowl higher up. He doesn't seem to drink out of either. I was concerned about dehydration because his neck skin seems loose. If I sprinkle the grass, he will drink from a puddle for what seems like forever. While i don't mind standing in the yard for 5 min with the hose watering my Sully, I'd like to know if he is getting enough water.

cemmons12

5 Year Member
Greenfield, In.
Cooper drinks almost everytime he is done eating or when he takes a break from eating.

Status
Not open for further replies.