Sulcata eating cypress mulch

Status
Not open for further replies.

5 Year Member
I've caught one of my sulcatas (6 months old) eating pieces of cypress mulch way too often now, I don't understand why if nothing has changed they've always had cypress mulch, the only thing is that I've increased the humidity it is now kind of swampy, but their diet is the same, should I change the substrate? what should I do?

Attachments

• 20130110_184838.jpg
    20130110_184838.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 46

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
Have you tried increasing their "real" food? Perhaps some Miner-all might help.

lisalove

10 Year Member!
Southern California
Nodder did as well. Didn't matter what I did, Miner-all, take out the red light, fed more-nothing worked. I changed to coco coir. It's a bit messy, but no chomping it down on substrate anymore!

5 Year Member
Jacqui said:
Have you tried increasing their "real" food? Perhaps some Miner-all might help.

Thanks for your quick reply, yes they actually don't finish everything that i give them but they do eat most of it (dpring mix) I dust their food with flukers calcium with vitamin d3 twice a week

lisalove said:
Nodder did as well. Didn't matter what I did, Miner-all, take out the red light, fed more-nothing worked. I changed to coco coir. It's a bit messy, but no chomping it down on substrate anymore!

Yeah :/ I guess I'll have to change to coco coir now!

lisalove

10 Year Member!
Southern California
I use the loose, not the brick with the wood looking pieces as he tried eating that too!!
I wet it and pack it down with my hand. It helps the messy part a little.
Good luck. It was worth changing it to have the peace of mind of him not choking.

cemmons12

5 Year Member
Greenfield, In.
If coco coir don't work you can use timothy hay, it is ok/good for them to eat that! Good luck.

5 Year Member
lisalove said:
I use the loose, not the brick with the wood looking pieces as he tried eating that too!!
Good luck. It was worth changing it to have the peace of mind of him not choking.

Aaaah I had 2 bricks that i had ordered in the past lol, yeah I'm constantly checking them out I'm worried they'll choke. Thanks:)

cemmons12 said:
If coco coir don't work you can use timothy hay, it is ok/good for them to eat that! Good luck.

Thanks, not a bad idea considering they can eat it but how can I maintain humidity with timothy hay?

tortoisefanatic

5 Year Member
5.7 said:
lisalove said:

Aaaah I had 2 bricks that i had ordered in the past lol, yeah I'm constantly checking them out I'm worried they'll choke. Thanks:)

cemmons12 said:

Thanks, not a bad idea considering they can eat it but how can I maintain humidity with timothy hay?

Yes, you can, but you may have to change it out more often than you think. The hay will develop mold much easier than the cypress mulch.

Status
Not open for further replies.