Sulcata Eating Tray

sgtjeff

Location (City and/or State)
San Diego, CA
My Vet recommends a feeding tray with rocks "glued" to a metal tray so the tortoise can eat around the embedded rocks and keep their beak properly worn down. Has anyone done this, or can you recommend what medium to secure the "river" stones in?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
My Vet recommends a feeding tray with rocks "glued" to a metal tray so the tortoise can eat around the embedded rocks and keep their beak properly worn down. Has anyone done this, or can you recommend what medium to secure the "river" stones in?
Totally and completely unnecessary and will result in trapped food particles and unsanitary conditions. The best food and water bowls are terra cotta saucers sunk into the substrate, and then I go with large tubs for water and fast for trays for food as they get larger and move outside. If you are feeding the right foods, the beak will always be in good shape and never need any sort of maintenance from you. I took in rescues with over grown beaks and the beaks corrected themselves within a month or two, and never needed any attention from me.

Most vets know little to nothing about tortoise care. Check this out and look for the sulcata care sheet near the bottom.

Oklahoma
Sulcate tortoises (or maybe just mine) like to test as much as they can to see if it is food. Mine is just a baby, so I don’t know very much but as long as they eat some hard food it should be fine.

sgtjeff

San Diego, CA
Totally and completely unnecessary and will result in trapped food particles and unsanitary conditions. The best food and water bowls are terra cotta saucers sunk into the substrate, and then I go with large tubs for water and fast for trays for food as they get larger and move outside. If you are feeding the right foods, the beak will always be in good shape and never need any sort of maintenance from you. I took in rescues with over grown beaks and the beaks corrected themselves within a month or two, and never needed any attention from me.

Most vets know little to nothing about tortoise care. Check this out and look for the sulcata care sheet near the bottom.
Thanks Tom, appreciate it.