Sulcata egg cracking

Status
Not open for further replies.

turtlelady80

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Tortoise Farm
It's day 92 in the incubator and I noticed a crack at the top. The humidity is 80%. I have read to spray the egg with tepid water so if it is the baby trying to emerge it won't get dehydrated. Is this something I should do? Or just leave it alone?

jayde7699

5 Year Member
I have a feeling that could be a little helpfull, but when they say "spray" they meen lightly , like a mist, so tht if it is the baby it won't drown or anything. But if something seems wrong I would contact an expert or find a good website soon!

turtlelady80

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Farm
Well I candle lit the egg and there is nothing in it lol. I got all excited for nothing. Blah. But thanks anyway

krb1093

5 Year Member
turtlelady80 said:
Well I candle lit the egg and there is nothing in it lol. I got all excited for nothing. Blah. But thanks anyway
OH NO!!!!!

turtlelady80

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Farm
Yeah sux. My female laid 3 times last season. Her first clutch was 14 then 9 then 3 and didn't get a single hatching. I really thought I'd get lucky this last time but PATIENCE is what I am learning. PATIENCE is key in this hobby. Everything happens for a reason and I learn something everyday.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
It took three more years for me to get a live hatchling from the time I thought my female ought to be producing. Most of the time our tortoises are not on OUR time frame. :)

I will sometimes add water near the end of term or when I see them pipping, but it really depends on how dry the media "seems" to me. If its moist and humid enough, sometimes I won't do anything. Just depends. If I do decide to add water, I just trickle a small amount around the margins of the container, not directly on the eggs.

jayde7699

5 Year Member
I would be sure to perfect her diet because I know that is sometimes the cause of it. And you are right that patience is the key to everything in the hobby. I know I will use all of this as advice for when mine are ready! :p

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
It also occurred to me that sometimes the eggs will swell and crack, when things are too wet. Just a thought I wanted to add.

Status
Not open for further replies.