Sulcata enclosure update

Five-sprout

5 Year Member
So I collectively took everyone's advice from my last thread, AND toms care sheet to completely redo my sulcata enclosure.
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1418521698.893847.jpg
I firmly packed down the peat substrate to prevent any future problems with his legs, made a little humid hide, bought a digital hygrometer from Home Depot and upgraded to a 48" long glass closed enclosure. :) (ignore the dirty water, he keeps dragging dirt in it and I replace it as fast as I can keep up with him)
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1418521831.710089.jpg
I also finagled a lid that will keep the humidity higher, (daytime 75-80 nighttime 95) using a piece of glass, a board wrapped in weather plastic and a piece of plexi glass. ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1418521976.710808.jpg
I drilled an appropriate sized hole in the board so I could keep the MVB inside the enclosure, with the ceramic part snuggly poking through to the surface, so as to keep it the right distance from the substrate for maximum efficiency. I also positioned the red bulb (which I know... Isn't as optimal as a CHE) to where I could achieve the optimal night time temperature.

Oh and since I'm in Utah, with winter rolling in, I bought a pound of seed from sulcatafood.com to start my own garden. I put a bunch in the enclosure when I first got it just to test it out and it grew like mad, but mr sulcata mowed it all down pretty quick. Hehe:)
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1418522480.577281.jpg

But no worries, because I still have access to weeds and grasses around my house. (Unfertilized of course) I also started another few pots though for when the snow hits so I can ensure fresh cut greens till spring arrives. :)ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1418522626.226671.jpg

I tried to do everything perfect this time, but I must've missed something..? Because that's always my luck. So thought, questions and concerns are GREATLY appreciated!! :)

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1418522373.444094.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1418522373.444094.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 19

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
I don't like that water bowl. Sides are too tall and steep. A terra cotta plant saucer sunk into the substrate will work better.

I also don't like colored bulbs. They make things look "funny" to the tortoises which sometimes results in them sampling the substrate or disrupting their day/night cycles. It should be dark at night and brightly lit during the day. At no time is red light good.

I'd put a flat rock, slate or piece of sandstone under the basking lamp.

Your plants and feeding techniques are great. Here are some more tips on feeding:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/for-those-who-have-a-young-sulcata.76744/

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
If you put some flat rocks around the water bowl, it will help to keep it clean. I would try to get the water bowl more level with the substrate. I don't see the problem with the water dish Tom sees, I actually have one for a lizard and it's sides are shorter then my clay saucers for my torts. A ceramic heat emitter would be much better for night time heat.

Five-sprout

5 Year Member
I don't like that water bowl. Sides are too tall and steep. A terra cotta plant saucer sunk into the substrate will work better.

I also don't like colored bulbs. They make things look "funny" to the tortoises which sometimes results in them sampling the substrate or disrupting their day/night cycles. It should be dark at night and brightly lit during the day. At no time is red light good.

I'd put a flat rock, slate or piece of sandstone under the basking lamp.

Your plants and feeding techniques are great. Here are some more tips on feeding:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/for-those-who-have-a-young-sulcata.76744/

Thanks for the input Tom, I'm working on a CHE just haven't made it a priority yet. I do have a nice piece of slate though so I'll put it in there under the light.

Five-sprout

5 Year Member
If you put some flat rocks around the water bowl, it will help to keep it clean. I would try to get the water bowl more level with the substrate. I don't see the problem with the water dish Tom sees, I actually have one for a lizard and it's sides are shorter then my clay saucers for my torts. A ceramic heat emitter would be much better for night time heat.

Good idea about the flat rocks around the bowl, I didn't even think of that!! Yeah I do like the water dish. He's big enough that he has never had a problem getting in and out, maybe I'll try the saucer though cause a lot of people do keep saying how much better they are...