Sulcata expert question.....

Ubercat

Location (City and/or State)
Sheffield
Well, that's crappy. I asked because I thought Sam was rather big for his age and wanted to show him off...but thanks to all the replies, I find out I have the smallest Sulcata in the whole history of TFO....huh! Guess I've been taken down a peg or 4.....
Lil Roxie likes to sleep under the light with any turtle, but she doesn't seem to care for them if they moveView attachment 202421

Hi, sorry, I know this thread is old (I only found it because I’ve been reading everything I can find about Knobby - who is awesome, BTW). So it seems tortoises are not distressed by cats? My cat likes to hop into my little rescue’s table occasionally, and steal his water, or go to sleep with her paws under the basking light. I was planning to build a mesh lid to keep her out because I thought having a predator in and out might be distressing.

But! He doesn’t appear distressed, and I know there was a cat at his previous residence, where he was allowed to run about the house free. And now I see this picture of a cat snuggled up with a tortoise!

What would you recommend? Can I save myself the trouble and keep the airflow unimpeded? Or should I get to work and make that lid anyway?

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
Hi, sorry, I know this thread is old (I only found it because I’ve been reading everything I can find about Knobby - who is awesome, BTW). So it seems tortoises are not distressed by cats? My cat likes to hop into my little rescue’s table occasionally, and steal his water, or go to sleep with her paws under the basking light. I was planning to build a mesh lid to keep her out because I thought having a predator in and out might be distressing.

But! He doesn’t appear distressed, and I know there was a cat at his previous residence, where he was allowed to run about the house free. And now I see this picture of a cat snuggled up with a tortoise!

What would you recommend? Can I save myself the trouble and keep the airflow unimpeded? Or should I get to work and make that lid anyway?
I think cats can bother tortoises. You can't always tell when your tortoise is distressed. We have feral cats in our yard. Charlie often stands next to them. It isn't because he likes them. He is trying to intimidate them into leaving his territory.

Ubercat

Sheffield
I think cats can bother tortoises. You can't always tell when your tortoise is distressed. We have feral cats in our yard. Charlie often stands next to them. It isn't because he likes them. He is trying to intimidate them into leaving his territory.
OK, thanks for that. Better get my building trousers back on again :)