Sulcata geochelone left in cold Weather

KOBEATL

5 Year Member
My 13 year old sulcata geochelone (@ 70lbs) got left in the cold (44 degrees) for two nights with minimum heat lamp. Was finally able to bring him inside to warm area. Offered food right away but He is not eating - 12 hours now. He is alert and strong, eyes open, no apparent watery eyes but seems to be sleeping more than usual. Is it time a vet or do give him more time to recover. Other advice?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
This sort of thing will usually not kill them. The "cure" is warm temps day and night along with warm soaks to make sure they are hydrated. This is a tropical species. Keep the ambient temp at tortoise level 80-85 day and night, and create a warmer area for them to get into the 90s in during the day.

Tell us where in the world you are and we can offer some better suggestions to get you going.

KOBEATL

5 Year Member
It'll take a while to get him warmed up right down into his inner core. A light (but not too close) over him will help too.
Thanks everyone for your quick and helpful reassuring responses. I am starting the warm baths now with uvb light.
We are in Houston Texas
Thanks again.
Kobe, my tort, also appreciates you all.
Happy New Year

KOBEATL

5 Year Member
Thanks everyone for your quick and helpful reassuring responses. I am starting the warm baths now with uvb light.
We are in Houston Texas
Thanks again.
Kobe, my tort, also appreciates you all.
Happy New Year

Ok. After two warm baths, a lot of poop and pee, Kobe is eating as he should. No more worries - thanks to all

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Jamaica
So glad he recovered! And welcome to the site.