Sulcata (growth on it's neck)?

Not quite sure what this weird growth is on Franklin's neck... He had one on both sides, but the one on the left fell off recently. Since they were pretty much matching, I didn't think anything of it, figured it was normal.

The one that remains is pretty hard, like a pebble lodged in there.

Any idea what I'm looking at and should I be concerned?

Thanks much,
Jason

IMG_2120.JPG IMG_2127.JPG IMG_2130.JPG IMG_2137.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

Falcon70

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
North Carolina
That doesn't look normal? It could be a tick or bot fly larvae, let's see if someone else can provide some insight.

It (both of them on either side, completely symmetrical, matching on both sides) has been there for well over a year now. Like I said, the other one fell off a few months ago.

I also brought him to the vet about 4 months ago, but they didn't mention anything, so I didn't worry. Not sure how good or thorough that vet was, though.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Never seen that before either. Is it attached under the skin? Or can you move it about? I wouldn't think it's anything either, especially if the other one fell off.

I've tried to get it out, but obviously it's a weird spot, so he pulls his head in if I try to extract it or mess with it.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It looks like it would be fairly easy to pick it out. I would enlist someone's help to keep him distracted with some sort of food (hand feed) he really, really likes, and have them hold the food just out of his reach so he has to stretch, then coming from behind so he can't see you, try to dislodge whatever it is with a tweezers or something pointed.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
After looking at this again, I'm not sure it wasn't a bot fly attempt. It looks like perhaps a bot fly laid its eggs there, but the host or the area couldn't quite support the developing larvae. Just guessing here, but all things considered, that is my best guess.

If that is the case, I'll bet this one too will eventually fall off on its own.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Does it actually bother Franklin?
He looks rather unconcerned, but does he scratch it or rub his neck against the edge of the carapace?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Drop a bit of mineral oil on it and keep it lubricated. See if it doesn't make it fall off sooner.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Not quite sure what this weird growth is on Franklin's neck... He had one on both sides, but the one on the left fell off recently. Since they were pretty much matching, I didn't think anything of it, figured it was normal.

The one that remains is pretty hard, like a pebble lodged in there.

Any idea what I'm looking at and should I be concerned?

Thanks much,
Jason

View attachment 126057 View attachment 126058 View attachment 126059 View attachment 126060

Looks like a narly black head....hmmm?

Razan

5 Year Member
Riverside, CA
Can you email the pictures to the vet who saw him four months ago? Maybe you will get lucky with a response without the "we need to see him" line, seeing as he was there already.

You did excellent taking pictures of this.

It's really strange because there's one on each side of his neck, perfectly symmetrical/matching, so I never thought anything of them, until one fell off.

Doesn't seem to bother him at all. He never runs it or anything like that.

I'll definitely try the mineral oil, thanks Yvonne.

Update: as I was feeding him, I tried to pull it out. Didn't seem to hurt him as I was trying to squeeze it out. A small piece broke off but there's still a considerable amount back in there left to pull out. Still have no idea what it is...

WallieWay

PA
You may be able to apply a little Ichthammol to it to draw out whatever it may be. I use it on my horse to draw out any ticks that dig deep into his skin...Not a vet, so not sure if it can be used on your Franklin but maybe it's worth a shot?

Razan

5 Year Member
Riverside, CA
Thank you for your posts. Looking forward to updates and hopefully the mystery's conclusion.

jeffb

5 Year Member
Looks like a tick or some sort of larvae under the skin. I bath my tort with a natural soap and water, keeps germs away. I use fresh clean water and a sponge and wash his eyes, head, neck, and mouth. Your tortoise is only as clean as you keep him. Always beware for him.