Sulcata (growth on it's neck)?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
I'll bet if you cut it open you'll find a larva.

teresaf

5 Year Member
Port Charlotte, Florida
Razan, You are soooo FUNNY!
But, yeah definitely cut it open.
If you have an jewelers loop or magnifier or something you may be able to see it better. Actually, I would call the vet and ask them to look at it! Because if you figure out what it is then you can gaurd against it happening again. Since it's happened twice.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Well, I dropped some mineral oil on it and plucked that whatever it was out of his neck! He didn't even flinch! It was traumatizing... For me, that is! It's was pretty gross, so feel free to ignore the pics if you're squeamish!View attachment 126829View attachment 126830View attachment 126831

Looks like a narly black head.....but yeah, slice and dice....wear safety goggles incase it is a projectile puss ball --and it is all fun and gross until someone losses an eye......eeeewwwww...:p

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I still think Falcon70 is right. I think that is a bot fly larva that could not survive on the host its mother laid it on. I think it hatched and attempted to burrow in and find a blood supply for nutrients, but failed and starved to death. I don't think there was a larva "in there". I think that was the larva.

teresaf

5 Year Member
Port Charlotte, Florida
PLEASE tell me there aren't bot flies in Florida! PLEASE! PLEASE! I'm moving there next year... I can take the huge roaches, even fire ants but BOT FLIES? Ugh! Grooooooss!

Razan

5 Year Member
Riverside, CA
PLEASE tell me there aren't bot flies in Florida! PLEASE! PLEASE! I'm moving there next year... I can take the huge roaches, even fire ants but BOT FLIES? Ugh! Grooooooss!

Maybe if you crawl around in Florida and under the shrubbery without frequent baths you can possibly pick up a guest. However that's pretty unlikely for most of us. You can relax. I went to Florida a few times and didn't come back with a bot fly larva in my neck.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Hmmm, some people must have assumed that you live in Florida.
Don't know why.
Unless Florida is famous for it's bot-flies, I suppose.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
USUALLY bot flies lay their eggs on the hairs of the host, so this is normal in animals, not so normal in humans, but has occurred. The egg hatches and the larva drops down onto the skin and burrows in.

teresaf

5 Year Member
Port Charlotte, Florida
You realize Franklin and I live in ARIZONA, not Florida
Sorry if I gave that impression. I KNOW you live in Arizona but I've lived in Oregon, Washington, now Ohio and have NEVER come across Bot Flies before in my life and this conversation made me realize that the most disgusting thing I can think of (even above ticks!) may be in florida. Since they are in arizona and I haven't heard of them in the cooler states I've lived in I assumed they would be in warmer states.