Sulcata Hatchling bit himself!

Status
Not open for further replies.

MichiLove

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
New Orleans
I was setting out some food for my Sulcata hatchling this evening and he was eating like always and I look over at him and all of a sudden he bit his own arm! He immediately went into his shell, as much as he could, with his mouth wide open with his arm inside! I was really freaking out! I continuously tried to get his arm out of his mouth for what seemed like forever! When these attempts failed I figured I'll just let him try and handle this himself. Well, all he did was go in circles round and round not lettting go of his arm! Finally he did let go and now he seems to be terrified! He isn't bleeding and he's walking around fine now using the bitten arm. But, my gosh, this was just very upsetting!!

lovelyrosepetal

5 Year Member
Oklahoma
Oh... my... goodness!!!That is freaky. I have never heard that one! I am sure someone will be able to advise you. Was there food on its arm? Maybe it was eating Mazuri and thought its arm was Mazuri? I don't know. I am sorry. I hope that your tortoise will be okay and not scare you like that again. I must admit, I did laugh about it running in circles but only because the picture of it was kind of comical. I hope that someone chimes in. Tom, Austin, Jaqui, anyone, do you have any thoughts? I am out of ideas.

MichiLove

5 Year Member
New Orleans
No, there was no food on it's arm, and he does eat Mazuri but this evening was just greens! I know that he must have mistaken his arm for food! Yes, when Thank you for responding!

excuse the "Yes, when" lol sorry!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I'm sorry that happened and also for laughing. Scary it must have been for you, but reading it, it is funny. What is really weird though is that he did 't let go right away and know that it was him biting it. His leg probably just got in the way of a piece of food and when he grabbed on, it startled him. He might just slow down and eat a little slower from now on. Probably won't ever happen again, one of those freak things.

Casseylane

5 Year Member
I hope he is okay, and it must have been so upsetting to watch. With that being said- the mental picture of this made me laugh. ;)

shellysmom

10 Year Member!
Really weird, but bless his little heart. He's new to the world, and still figuring everything out... like, that his arm is part of his body. Glad he's okay and didn't fight it to the death.

MichiLove

5 Year Member
New Orleans
Yes! I know! Thank you all for responding! It is funny now, but at the moment I was freaking out. I was about to take a picture of it and then I was like, "NO I can't do that, his arm is stuck in his mouth! DO SOMETHING!". Anyway, hopefully like you said, this won't happen again! Though, he probably hates me now and thinks I'm the one who hurt him!

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
What a funny video. That only goes to show that when a tort gets a hold of something they think is food, they will not let it go even if it's their own limb!

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
I wish you had taken a video of this experience. I found out early that my babies clamp down on whatever they are eating, and they will not let it go for anything. I know it worried you at the time, but it was really funny just imagining it.

DrewsLife727

10 Year Member!
San Diego, CA
Wow.. I'm sry to hear that. Must of been crazy watching that. Should if recorded it though..

-Drew

mainey34

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
Oh, poor little tort. I confess I too chuckled when I read your story. I hope he doesn't do it again. Sounds like he scared the both of you.

LuckysGirl007

5 Year Member
Surprise, AZ
OMG! I would have been terrified!

That said and knowing he is ok now.....HAHAHAHAHAHA! I laughed when I read it and laughed until a cried at you comment about getting a picture and then NO I CAN'T HIS ARM IS IN HIS MOUTH! What is his name? He needs a catchy nick name now.....can't think of one off the top of my head though!

LuckysGirl007

5 Year Member
Surprise, AZ
Ok...it's almost 2 hours later and I just had to go back and re-read this! I hope this isn't mean, but it still makes me laugh. A few nick names...Chopper, "Sharp Tooth", Tasty, Courage the Cowardly Tort, "Charlie" (as in "Charlie bit my finger") if you haven't seen it utube it...hmmm. Well that's all for now. Time for me to get to bed! LOL Thanks for sharing this...it really made my day!

expo tort

5 Year Member
Funny video. Also eating his own leg hope mine doesn't get any ideas.

MichiLove

5 Year Member
New Orleans
Everyone is so sweet! lol Thanks for the comments! He is okay this morning and not eating his arm!
LuckysGirl007, his name is Michi! I know he does, huh?! lol I'm not good at thinking of names though!

Edna said:
I hope your little guy learned something from the experience. Your story reminded me of this video LOL.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bbn__Tta_0E

Oh wow! lol That is crazy! That was what it was like exactly!! lol Just kidding, not quite! But close!

LuckysGirl007 said:
Ok...it's almost 2 hours later and I just had to go back and re-read this! I hope this isn't mean, but it still makes me laugh. A few nick names...Chopper, "Sharp Tooth", Tasty, Courage the Cowardly Tort, "Charlie" (as in "Charlie bit my finger") if you haven't seen it utube it...hmmm. Well that's all for now. Time for me to get to bed! LOL Thanks for sharing this...it really made my day!

Lol You are funny! You actually thought of some! Hmm...I like Courage the Cowardly Tort!! Haha!:D

Status
Not open for further replies.