Sulcata Hatchling Grasses?

Courtney760

Location (City and/or State)
Marana, AZ
I saw a post a few days ago that showed what kinds of grasses are good for hatchlings but now I can’t find it. I found the thread for adult Sulcatas, but couldn’t find the one for hatchlings. There’s so much info on here to look through. So a few quick questions.

1. What grasses are best for hatchlings? I want to grow my own so it’s always available. Also, what is the best soil to use?

2. Besides grass and Mazuri, what other staple foods should I integrate into his diet?

3. How many times per week should I offer Mazuri?

4. Should I chop the grass up finely?

5. How often should I put the calcium powder on his food and how much?

Our newest family member isn’t expected to hatch until around 5/21, so I’ve just been busy researching, building the enclosure and trying to make sure everything is perfect to give him the best life possible.

Also, I was going to mix coconut coir with orchid bark for substrate. Is the coconut coir needed? Or will the soaked orchid bark be sufficient enough to keep the humidity in? It will be a closed chamber set up.

Thank you in advance!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hatchlings really aren't too interested in grass. Probably not until they get to be a couple/three years old. But I take the scissors out to the yard and cut a nice handful of grass blades (not the kinds of grasses with stems, but those with blades) then I cut those blades up into small pieces and add it to the other foods I'm feeding that day.

Courtney760

Marana, AZ
Hatchlings really aren't too interested in grass. Probably not until they get to be a couple/three years old. But I take the scissors out to the yard and cut a nice handful of grass blades (not the kinds of grasses with stems, but those with blades) then I cut those blades up into small pieces and add it to the other foods I'm feeding that day.

Good to know! What kinds of foods are best for babies?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I don't have sulcata babies, but I raise a whole lotta' leopard babies. Here's what I chop up into a dishpan for them (it lasts about three days):

1 head of romaine, 1 head of green leaf lettuce, a large handful of mustard greens, a large handful of collard greens, a clump of grass blades scissored to bite size, a large handful of endive, escarole and raddicchio, a head of butter lettuce, a grated zucchini and occasionally a grated carrot, a bit of vitamins, a bit of calcium powder and any edible weeds I'm able to find from outside. Over the top of this I sprinkle a bunch of dried weeds and flowers that I buy from Kapidolo Farms. Mix it all up. During the summer when there are more things growing outside this mixture is heavy on the side of mulberry leaves, grape leaves, etc.

Courtney760

Marana, AZ
I don't have sulcata babies, but I raise a whole lotta' leopard babies. Here's what I chop up into a dishpan for them (it lasts about three days):

1 head of romaine, 1 head of green leaf lettuce, a large handful of mustard greens, a large handful of collard greens, a clump of grass blades scissored to bite size, a large handful of endive, escarole and raddicchio, a head of butter lettuce, a grated zucchini and occasionally a grated carrot, a bit of vitamins, a bit of calcium powder and any edible weeds I'm able to find from outside. Over the top of this I sprinkle a bunch of dried weeds and flowers that I buy from Kapidolo Farms. Mix it all up. During the summer when there are more things growing outside this mixture is heavy on the side of mulberry leaves, grape leaves, etc.

That does make for a nice salad! Thanks for the info. As far as where I should place the food dish and soaking dish, should I keep the food dish away from the basking lamp and soaking dish near the basking lamp for added humidity? Or should I place the water dish away from the basking lamp as well?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I saw a post a few days ago that showed what kinds of grasses are good for hatchlings but now I can’t find it. I found the thread for adult Sulcatas, but couldn’t find the one for hatchlings. There’s so much info on here to look through. So a few quick questions.

1. What grasses are best for hatchlings? I want to grow my own so it’s always available. Also, what is the best soil to use?

2. Besides grass and Mazuri, what other staple foods should I integrate into his diet?

3. How many times per week should I offer Mazuri?

4. Should I chop the grass up finely?

5. How often should I put the calcium powder on his food and how much?

Our newest family member isn’t expected to hatch until around 5/21, so I’ve just been busy researching, building the enclosure and trying to make sure everything is perfect to give him the best life possible.

Also, I was going to mix coconut coir with orchid bark for substrate. Is the coconut coir needed? Or will the soaked orchid bark be sufficient enough to keep the humidity in? It will be a closed chamber set up.

Thank you in advance!
1. Any grasses intended for grazing animals are good. I get the grass mix from tortoisesupply.com and love it. I also buy a prate mix from groworganic.com. For babies, it needs to be freshly sprouted, tender young grass. Any soil is fine as long as there are no chemical or pesticidal additives. You'll have to read the ingredients on the labels. Look for one intended to grow vegetables for human consumption.
2. I avoid grocery store foods and lettuces. Read this to answer your question: https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/for-those-who-have-a-young-sulcata.76744/
3. Once is enough. 3 times is not too much. Its up to you. I usually feed it to them once or twice a week, but it depends on the season and what else is available. Sometimes I skip it for a month or two when the weeds and fresh grasses are sprouting. Other times I offer some every other day. It varies and there is a wide range of what is acceptable.
4. Yes for a baby. No for an adult.
5. A tiny pinch of calcium twice a week is plenty in most cases. A little more if you feed a lot of lettuce, a little less if you feed a lot of weeds and high calcium leaves. Again, there is a wide range of what is acceptable.

Courtney760

Marana, AZ
1. Any grasses intended for grazing animals are good. I get the grass mix from tortoisesupply.com and love it. I also buy a prate mix from groworganic.com. For babies, it needs to be freshly sprouted, tender young grass. Any soil is fine as long as there are no chemical or pesticidal additives. You'll have to read the ingredients on the labels. Look for one intended to grow vegetables for human consumption.
2. I avoid grocery store foods and lettuces. Read this to answer your question: https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/for-those-who-have-a-young-sulcata.76744/
3. Once is enough. 3 times is not too much. Its up to you. I usually feed it to them once or twice a week, but it depends on the season and what else is available. Sometimes I skip it for a month or two when the weeds and fresh grasses are sprouting. Other times I offer some every other day. It varies and there is a wide range of what is acceptable.
4. Yes for a baby. No for an adult.
5. A tiny pinch of calcium twice a week is plenty in most cases. A little more if you feed a lot of lettuce, a little less if you feed a lot of weeds and high calcium leaves. Again, there is a wide range of what is acceptable.

Perfect! Thank you for answering all of my questions.