Sulcata Hatchling - Hay question

BubbaJ1020

Location (City and/or State)
Scottsdale, AZ
Hello,
When do hatchlings start eating food like Mazuri and ZooMed Natural Grassland? I offered (pre-soaked) alongside the daily greens, but so far Bubba has not been interested.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Small tortoises don't eat anything that we'd like them to. Probably 5-6-7 years in there, certainly not for a number of years anyway. But I would take 2 pieces or so of Mazuri and soften them up with hot/warm water, I'd offer it to Bubba as a supplement or treat. Offer it alone in a night time extra feeding if you want.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello,
When do hatchlings start eating food like Mazuri and ZooMed Natural Grassland? I offered (pre-soaked) alongside the daily greens, but so far Bubba has not been interested.
Tortoises eat what they've eaten before. This is why it is so important to introduce them to all sorts of different foods in the weeks and months right when they hatch. Few breeders do this, and it makes it that much harder for the new keeper. Now YOU will have to spend months trying to get them to eat new and better foods.

Start by soaking a tiny broken pice of a single pellet. Mix that mush with whatever the favorite greens are. Mix it thoroughly and it helps to pre wet the greens too. Only use a tiny tiny amount of the new stuff at first. Hardly any. Gradually, over time, the tortoise will get used to the new stuff and start eating it better. Take your time. There is no rush, and the tortoise will likely avoid the new stuff for weeks. Give it time. Its worth the effort.

You can use this method for any new food.

Don't bother with hay until the tortoise is around 12 inches. Then, it will be the same process. Add in small amounts mixed in with other favorites. With hay, I've had good results by just feeding them their other usual foods on a bed of the new hay. Use orchard grass hay if possible, or Bermuda. I don't like the Timothy hay much. Too stemmy.