Sulcata Heist in Wisconsin

M

Maggie Cummings

Hey Big Charlie, I hope my post about living in Michigan didn't come across overly defensive. I think living in a cold state with a sulcata may have made me a little sensitive about the subject. I have to admit after reading a lot of post where keepers struggle to manage a sulcata tortoise in a warm state, I know I have my work cut out for me.
i have 4 Sulcata and live in Oregon where it's either snowing or raining. I'd love to adopt out 3 of them. I am an old lady so most of the set up needed a professional, it cost over 2 thousand dollars. They are in a 12'x20' heated and insulated shed. They are surrounded by a solid cedar fence, that cost $1000. BUT, once the money is spent and the torts are set up correctly their care is easy. I operate a small special needs turtle and tortoise rescue. Personally, I'd take a Sulcata over any other species. I also have about 12 box turtles. Some are blind, missing legs, or a bottom jaw, but they all have a good life here with me. They are all set up in my house and all have an outside pen for the nice days. Everybody goes outside depending on the weather. My power bill is always around $300, but I don't care about that. I just try to give them a good life. I don't post much anymore because of Bob and it makes me really sad to see pictures of him010.JPG

Jay Bagley

Location (City and/or State)
Michigan
i have 4 Sulcata and live in Oregon where it's either snowing or raining. I'd love to adopt out 3 of them. I am an old lady so most of the set up needed a professional, it cost over 2 thousand dollars. They are in a 12'x20' heated and insulated shed. They are surrounded by a solid cedar fence, that cost $1000. BUT, once the money is spent and the torts are set up correctly their care is easy. I operate a small special needs turtle and tortoise rescue. Personally, I'd take a Sulcata over any other species. I also have about 12 box turtles. Some are blind, missing legs, or a bottom jaw, but they all have a good life here with me. They are all set up in my house and all have an outside pen for the nice days. Everybody goes outside depending on the weather. My power bill is always around $300, but I don't care about that. I just try to give them a good life. I don't post much anymore because of Bob and it makes me really sad to see pictures of himView attachment 233122
Hey Maggie, thank you for sharing your story. I'm not sure what happened to Bob, cuz I have not been a member very long. I can tell he was very special to you, sounds like you do an awesome job at taking care of your animals.

Ramsey

5 Year Member
San Diego California
Hey Maggie, thank you for sharing your story. I'm not sure what happened to Bob, cuz I have not been a member very long. I can tell he was very special to you, sounds like you do an awesome job at taking care of your animals.

Agreed.

My power bill is a bit high too. Worth every penny. God bless you.

Jay Bagley

Michigan
Agreed.

My power bill is a bit high too. Worth every penny. God bless you.
Mine has been at about $100 since I got Sheldon. I have been running 2 120 watt mercury vapor bulbs, and 100 w che. I'm sure it would be much more, but as my daughter refers to me I am the electric Nazi. He's not very big now, but I'm sure as he grows and his enclosure grows I'm sure my bill will increase.

M

Maggie Cummings

He was killed by a Vet who operated on him without the knowledge to do it. He had a bladder stone about the size of a soft ball, and the Vet didn't bag him but did take off his plastron completely. Bob was 125 pounds when that Vet killed him

Jay Bagley

Michigan
He was killed by a Vet who operated on him without the knowledge to do it. He had a bladder stone about the size of a soft ball, and the Vet didn't bag him but did take o
Oh my gosh, that is very tragic. I'm very sorry you had to go through that and I'm sorry for Bob as well. I fear the day I have to bring Sheldon to a vet, the few I have to talk to around here who are supposedly exotic vets.... don't really seem to know a whole lot about tortoises. Once again I'm very sorry for your loss.

Ramsey

5 Year Member
San Diego California
He was killed by a Vet who operated on him without the knowledge to do it. He had a bladder stone about the size of a soft ball, and the Vet didn't bag him but did take off his plastron completely. Bob was 125 pounds when that Vet killed him

Yowzers. Sorry to hear about that. When did this happen and is there a blog or a thread with this story?

What happens in a scenario like that?

Any of us would be devastated...

M

Maggie Cummings

Yowzers. Sorry to hear about that. When did this happen and is there a blog or a thread with this story?

What happens in a scenario like that?

Any of us would be devastated...
yes there is a thread about it but it's not something I remember. Do some searching about Bob, there's some fun stories about the trouble he got into you might enjoy and that thread on him dying

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Michigan
i have 4 Sulcata and live in Oregon where it's either snowing or raining. I'd love to adopt out 3 of them. I am an old lady so most of the set up needed a professional, it cost over 2 thousand dollars. They are in a 12'x20' heated and insulated shed. They are surrounded by a solid cedar fence, that cost $1000. BUT, once the money is spent and the torts are set up correctly their care is easy. I operate a small special needs turtle and tortoise rescue. Personally, I'd take a Sulcata over any other species. I also have about 12 box turtles. Some are blind, missing legs, or a bottom jaw, but they all have a good life here with me. They are all set up in my house and all have an outside pen for the nice days. Everybody goes outside depending on the weather. My power bill is always around $300, but I don't care about that. I just try to give them a good life. I don't post much anymore because of Bob and it makes me really sad to see pictures of himView attachment 233122
Thank you for all that you do for animals. It means everything to me. :<3: