Sulcata house plant fertilizer

Status
Not open for further replies.

kjr153

5 Year Member
I bought my baby some spider plants from Meijer. They are the perfect little size to go in the tank. I don't know that they have fertilizer on them but one can only assume. The potting soil the plants are in has those little green balls, fertilizer? What should I do? Thanks guys!

Momof4

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
San Diego
You can rinse off the soil and repot with clean soil. That's what I do.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I would plant it in a separate pot after pulling it gently from the other potentially tainted one and I personally would not put it into the enclosure any sooner than 6 months....

I know, some do it right away, but fertilizer is designed to travel through the growth system of the plant (systemic) so even if you dust it off there are things within the plant you can not dust off.....

I would let it actually have an entire growth season (just what I would do) before allowing your tort access for chomping.....but I do not even eat greens that are not organic...some nasty stuff purposely added to grocery store fruit and veggies just to make sure they look pretty and grow unnaturally fast and remain "fresh" for way too long....

kjr153

5 Year Member
Not what I wanted to hear Angela :) Can Sulcatas eat a Wandering Jew? I have one of those in my house that has been growing without fertilizers

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
Something I've done with spider plants is make them root bound. Plant them in a container that is too small for the plant with enough soil to keep it alive. This forces the plant to send out those tendrils, from where the common name comes, with baby plants on the ends. Plant those babies in your enclosure once you establish them in good, old fashioned dirt. Put the adult plant in a sunny window sill and enjoy having a house plant.

Status
Not open for further replies.