Sulcata humidity Struggle

BowDownBowser

Location (City and/or State)
Jacksonville, Florida
So for my closed chamber I am having trouble maintaining humidity. I have a month old hatchling sulcata. I know the humidity should be around 80%. The problem I have is one side will stay with high humidity and the other side (Where the basking lamp is) the humidity is lower. The high side is currently 89% which to me is great, but on the other hand the low side is at 72% I just purchased and installed the tropic aire humidifier and air exchanger which has helped. I was misting constantly before buying that now this just keeps from me having to mist constantly, but even when i would mist the humidity would rise until the basking lamp dried that side out. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to mitigate this? Or is this humidity good?

Barista5261

5 Year Member
Central Florida
Try adding a second water dish. Having more water to be able to evaporate will help keep the humidity level up on the end you are having trouble with. Also, what kind of substrate do you use?

BowDownBowser

Jacksonville, Florida
Re: RE: Sulcata humidity Struggle

Barista5261 said:
Try adding a second water dish. Having more water to be able to evaporate will help keep the humidity level up on the end you are having trouble with. Also, what kind of substrate do you use?

Okay I'll try that. I use coco coir as a subrate. It holding the moisture very well other than directly under the heat lamp. That's dries out relatively quick.

Barista5261

5 Year Member
Central Florida
This seems random, but a few of us on the board here have found that if you don't pack down your coco coir, it will keep the humidity higher. I clean it, churn it, level it out, then put food and water dishes back. I've noticed the humidity level go up at least 5% from doing that. Or, not packing down the coco coir, rather :p

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
I think you are working yourself for nothing . My enclosure has the same problem . I use a zoomed humidifier . Here's some photos so you can see there's nothing wrong

mike taylor said:
I think you are working yourself for nothing . My enclosure has the same problem . I use a zoomed humidifier . Here's some photos so you can see there's nothing wrong

See in the photo one side has all the humidity and the other is some what dry . He sleeps in that half log and my baby is smooth.

Attachments

• 1392777880974.jpg
    1392777880974.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 62
  • 1392777894270.jpg
    1392777894270.jpg
    132.6 KB · Views: 51

BowDownBowser

Jacksonville, Florida

mike taylor said:

mike taylor said:

See in the photo one side has all the humidity and the other is some what dry . He sleeps in that half log and my baby is smooth.

Okay thanks. I guess if he wants a more humid spot he'll move. The average enclosure humidity is like 83%. Thanks for the advice. Great looking tort. I'm hoping the air exchanger I just installed will help keep it more level and spread the humidity. I just haven't been using it long enough to see a difference yet.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club

BowDownBowser said:
mike taylor said:

mike taylor said:

Okay thanks. I guess if he wants a more humid spot he'll move. The average enclosure humidity is like 83%. Thanks for the advice. Great looking tort. I'm hoping the air exchanger I just installed will help keep it more level and spread the humidity. I just haven't been using it long enough to see a difference yet.

When you say air exchanger are you pulling outside air in?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I think you are okay with 89% on one side and 72% on the side with the basking bulb. I'd put a proper humid hide in there, and watch the growth for a while. If its coming in smooth you probably don't need to do anything.

Barista5261

5 Year Member
Central Florida
May I suggest the oh-so-awesome $1.89 plastic dish tub from Walmart for a humid hide? [GRINNING FACE WITH SMILING EYES][GRINNING FACE WITH SMILING EYES][GRINNING FACE WITH SMILING EYES]

Flip it upside down, cut a door in the side just big enough for him to get though, and BAM! You got yourself a super awesome humid hide. [TURTLE]

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Barista5261 said:
May I suggest the oh-so-awesome $1.89 plastic dish tub from Walmart for a humid hide? [GRINNING FACE WITH SMILING EYES][GRINNING FACE WITH SMILING EYES][GRINNING FACE WITH SMILING EYES]

Flip it upside down, cut a door in the side just big enough for him to get though, and BAM! You got yourself a super awesome humid hide. [TURTLE]

:D

BowDownBowser

Jacksonville, Florida

mike taylor said:
BowDownBowser said:
mike taylor said:

mike taylor said:

When you say air exchanger are you pulling outside air in?

The air exchanger just continuously pushes humid air into the enclosure.

Tom said:
I think you are okay with 89% on one side and 72% on the side with the basking bulb. I'd put a proper humid hide in there, and watch the growth for a while. If its coming in smooth you probably don't need to do anything.

Barista5261 said:

As far as the humid hide. I already have that. Its just what you said. An upside down dish tub that has sphagnum moss inside to hold humidity. This is where he sleeps and sometimes goes for an hour or two a day it seems. The rest of the day seems to be spent basking, eating, roaming around, or falling asleep in a corner.