Sulcata in Arizona built first burrow

shelleyfitz18spike

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
scottsdale arizona
Hello Friends~

My 6 year old tortoise built his first burrow at least 6 feet long a few months ago. We live in Phoenix Arizona and the temp highs are 71 and lows 45. I have not seen him in the last three weeks. Could he be staying down in his burrow?
Thanks for your help!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Could he be staying down in his burrow?
Yes he could and you need to get him out ASAP. Its too cold and he might die down there if he isn't dead already. Burrows are great for summer time, but our winters are too cold. There is no "winter" where they come from. Ground temps in the Sahel are 80-85 all year long and most days are near 100 degrees.

SulcataSpud

Titusville FL
Yes he could and you need to get him out ASAP. Its too cold and he might die down there if he isn't dead already. Burrows are great for summer time, but our winters are too cold. There is no "winter" where they come from. Ground temps in the Sahel are 80-85 all year long and most days are near 100 degrees.
Oh my goodness! Please keep us updated OP! I hope your little guy is ok!

shelleyfitz18spike

5 Year Member
scottsdale arizona
Thanks for the information. I started to dig for him and I found that he got stuck down in the burrow. I knew something was wrong when I did not see him for a couple days. He is inside, warm and safe!