Sulcata in Los Angeles Backyard, Opinions Welcome

EllieMay

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
East Texas
Wow, what a beautiful tortoise. I have spoken with Tom and he is not expecting new SA Leopard hatchlings until January. May I ask how much yours weighs now and if he is outside year round?

I do understand this differently in terms of a hatchling (which we still want) in that care requirements for a very yourng tortoise are different and change. I see they need to be housed indoors for a couple years at least where they can live in specific conditions in regards to humidity, heat, UV, etc. Then there is a transitional time before really letting them live outdoors all the time (as I understand).

I'm not clear with the Leopard after it is old enough to live outdoors, how much I need to to be worried about humidity, bathing, and pyramiding? If the conditions are all ideal when young, will it be Ok after that? Do I still have to be concerned about severe pyramiding or it getting everything it needs (or will it regulate itself assuming food, water, shade, sun, etc are available)? Thanks!
Your care for a SA Leopard will be the same as for a sulcata, and either of those will need to be kept indoors for a while if you get them as hatchlings... it’s really great that you are doing all your homework now. I can’t wait to see your updates this time next year... your yard can easily be reinforced and modified to protect your patio and house from any tortoise as well. No matter what you decide, you can have the proper set up with a little planning. Good luck!

vladimir

5 Year Member
Pennsylvania
I definitely recommend getting a South African leopard from Tom. They are just stunning in color and get to be on the bigger side. I got mine from Tom 2 years ago and I adore it. S/he loves to eat everything. Poe is very personable and you couldnt go with a better breeder. This is her now and she just turned 2. I got her as a hatchling and she just keeps growing and growing.

View attachment 304433

Thanks for sharing! I love seeing pics of Tom's babies that are out there :)

Good luck with your choice - you came to the right place

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
He is beautiful! I had thought sand was bad for them but Dartanian proved me wrong.

Walking on sand briefly won't hurt them, unless it gets in their eyes. Living on sand daily, and eating meals coated with sand is what will do harm.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Walking on sand briefly won't hurt them, unless it gets in their eyes. Living on sand daily, and eating meals coated with sand is what will do harm.

One candy bar every so often is fine; a box of kitkat daily forever = bad. Same goes with tortoises.....an occasional stroll across a sandy dune is fine, having a sand dune scape as a permanent outdoor habitat wouldn't be too good.

tgirl23

Southern California
Wow, what a beautiful tortoise. I have spoken with Tom and he is not expecting new SA Leopard hatchlings until January. May I ask how much yours weighs now and if he is outside year round?

I do understand this differently in terms of a hatchling (which we still want) in that care requirements for a very yourng tortoise are different and change. I see they need to be housed indoors for a couple years at least where they can live in specific conditions in regards to humidity, heat, UV, etc. Then there is a transitional time before really letting them live outdoors all the time (as I understand).

I'm not clear with the Leopard after it is old enough to live outdoors, how much I need to to be worried about humidity, bathing, and pyramiding? If the conditions are all ideal when young, will it be Ok after that? Do I still have to be concerned about severe pyramiding or it getting everything it needs (or will it regulate itself assuming food, water, shade, sun, etc are available)? Thanks!

I weighed her this morning. She is 2195 grams. Almost 5 lbs. She is 2 years and 4 months. When I got her from Tom she weighed in at 59 grams.

Reactions: Tom

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
@Joew - Summer before last I went to SoCal and picked up a dozen hatchling desert tortoises from one of the SoCal chapters of the California Turtle and Tortoise Club to help find homes for them. Look at this list: https://tortoise.org/cttc/cttcmore.html and contact the different chapters to see which of them has hatchlings. You may need to wait until September, when they hatch, but there may be a chapter that still has babies from last September.

Desert tortoises don't get as big as sulcatas, but they are awfully personable. Once they realize you're the food god/goddess, you have a friend for life.
You went to SoCal??? On your own? Or William drove you? What the hey I'm curious...

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Have have 10 sulcatas hahaha
OK, I'm a pretty old lady, seriously, 2 Sulcata are enough for the space I have, and enough for me to physically care for. I also have a small tortoise, 11 box turtles, 15 birds, and 2 cats. Oh, a water turtle too. I used to head-start CDT for my sister. Them and Sulcata. People would hatch them out, then dump them on Y. So she would dump them on me and I loved it. 10-15 Gopherus agassizii, and 15 to 20 Sulcata. I loved it. But I didn't keep 10 Sulcata hatchlings or 15 desert hatchlings to raise forever. After I moved to Oregon, I fell into operating a small special needs turtle and tortoise rescue. People literally threw unwanted pets of many kinds over my back fence.Oh and btw...
My first reaction to someone who keeps 10 Sulcata...they must be a nut job, my second reaction was, man I wish I had enuf land for 10 Sulcata...:)
100_4268.JPG100_4885.JPG100_4911.JPG

NorCal tortoise guy

5 Year Member
Northern California
OK, I'm a pretty old lady, seriously, 2 Sulcata are enough for the space I have, and enough for me to physically care for. I also have a small tortoise, 11 box turtles, 15 birds, and 2 cats. Oh, a water turtle too. I used to head-start CDT for my sister. Them and Sulcata. People would hatch them out, then dump them on Y. So she would dump them on me and I loved it. 10-15 Gopherus agassizii, and 15 to 20 Sulcata. I loved it. But I didn't keep 10 Sulcata hatchlings or 15 desert hatchlings to raise forever. After I moved to Oregon, I fell into operating a small special needs turtle and tortoise rescue. People literally threw unwanted pets of many kinds over my back fence.Oh and btw...
My first reaction to someone who keeps 10 Sulcata...they must be a nut job, my second reaction was, man I wish I had enuf land for 10 Sulcata...:)
View attachment 304912View attachment 304913View attachment 304914
10 is a handful for sure but so worth it!