Sulcata in Rainy Oregon Weather

Lizby

Hi There!

I live in Oregon, and I'm considering adopting a young (under a year) Sulcata tortoise from a friend. Before I just dive in, I'm trying to learn as much as possible, and make sure that I can commit to taking care of the little guy for many years to come.

I'd build a tortoise table for him in my house while he's little, but my question is this - when he's bigger, and it's time to build him a nice big habitat in my backyard, is he going to be okay in the Oregon humidity (it rains for about 9 months out of the year here, though we only get a couple of light snow days each year - pretty mild winter)?

From the basic things I've started reading about Sulcata tortoises, people seem to be saying that the adults don't do well in humid weather. Is that true?

So, with all the Oregon rain, obviously I'd need to build a covered shelter outside (when he's an adult), have an adequate heat lamp and protection from the elements, those types of things, but is that enough? What about in the winter, when it rains every day here in Oregon, and it gets really cold?

Can a Sulcata tortoise thrive in the backyard, when he gets bigger, if I provide the right shelters and heaters for him, or is he simply not well-suited for the Oregon climate? I want to find well-informed answers, and not simply adopt him "just because he's cute", so I'm mapping out the next few years of tortoise care and considering all my options. :)

Any help or advice you have would be so much appreciated! Anyone have outdoor Sulcatas in a rainy part of the country? How do you do it? Do your tortoises live outside in shelters, or do you have an indoor setup even when they're adult and gigantic?

With tortoises in general, because I'm really curious now, thinking about all of this - are there some species that are perfect for Oregon? Some that love the rain and moisture, but are still land tortoises, not aquatic turtles?

Thank you all so much for your time!

Reactions: Jll

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
What would you say the average tempratures are up there? I have rescued and kept sulcatas temporary and there are people on this forum that can answer you question pretty detailed and give ya great opinion and idea on how it would be. If it's cold and rainy though it probably would be tough. Also with the extra lights outdoors it seems like it would be expensive. Why not get a tortoise that fits your region better? It maybe easier to keep red foot. Or mountai. Tortoises in that area. In interested tho to see what others have to say.

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
Maggie and CowboyKen both have had Sullies in Oregon. I am in Eugene and I have 5 Redfoots who spend winters indoors.

Speedy-1

St. David Arizona
I don't think the humidity would be a problem at all , I am in Arizona and my biggest concern is our lack of humidity . I counter this problem with daily soaking and spraying Speedy down while he is outside . I would think you would need to be more concerned about temperature there . Remember warm and humid is good , cool and humid is bad ! :)

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Where in Oregon are you?

I'm in southern oregon (Medford area) and I've been able to succesfully house my 12" leopard outdoors 24/7 for 2 years now. If you are in my neck of the woods it'll be easier with more outdoors time for the tort. If you are in Maggie's area (Corvallis) it'll need a little more work and heated shed space but it's still possible.

Essentially you'll want a large heated shed, possibly connected to a greenhouse that then leads into a large yard.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Most of what is on the internet and in books about sulcatas is wrong. We have been re-quoting thew wrong info for decades. This info was based on incorrect assumption about where sulcatas come from, and we know better know. Well… some of us know better now…

Sulcatas thrive in humidity. The problem you will have is cold. This is a tropical species that needs warm temps year round. Any species can be kept anywhere in the world with enough time, effort and money. You must decide just how much time, effort and money you wish to invest to keep a giant warm weather tortoise in a cold rainy climate. Personally, I wouldn't do it, and I love sulcatas.

Tables are no good for babies. They are too dry and will contribute to pyramiding.

Here is some info to help you decide:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-sulcata-or-leopard-version-2-0.79895/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/for-those-who-have-a-young-sulcata.76744/

Jll

Southern, OR
This is my quandary exactly! Thank you for posting your concerns and please update on what you decided!