Sulcata keeps going into air-conditioned room

matthewthetortoise

Location (City and/or State)
Philippines
Hello my sulcata keeps going into my air conditioned room is that normal and should i let her sleep in here? the temp outside is around 80F and im not sure about inside the room but the ac is on full blast.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
He shouldn't be allowed to roam around in your house freely . So no . He needs a enclosure be it inside or outside . He needs a place in a shady area .

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello my sulcata keeps going into my air conditioned room is that normal and should i let her sleep in here? the temp outside is around 80F and im not sure about inside the room but the ac is on full blast.

I agree with Mike. Your tortoise needs to e in an enclosure that offer it everything it needs.

It shouldn't be loose in your house, and it should not have the option to go into an air conditioned room.

Last edited by a moderator:

matthewthetortoise

Philippines
Hi guys thanks for responding, I do keep him in an enclosure but i kept him outside for like an hour and that's when he keeps going into the room with ac so I was just wondering if that meant anything haha. Thanks for the help!

Dizisdalife

10 Year Member!
California
It could mean that your tortoise is seeking safety, as he perceives it, and goes into that room. I doubt he is seeking out an air conditioned spot. Small sulcata don't spend much time out in the open. It is stressful for them, so they will seek out a hiding spot. Build yourself a "sunning enclosure" that has a hiding place or two for when you take him outside. Do not let him stay in the air conditioned room.

Redfool

5 Year Member
Central Florida
I don't know how big your sulcata is but it might be something instinctual like the coolness of a burrow. Air conditioning also dehumidifies, not good for a young tort. Also walking on a hard floor is very hard on tortoise leg bones. I have a friend with a rescue sulcata that has MBD in its hind legs from living life on tile patio. It now walks more like a box turtle than the elephant look walk it should be doing.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California