Sulcata leg won't extend

BeeBee

Location (City and/or State)
Colorado
My sulcata baby's right leg won't extend out, like it's stuck in its leg socket.

I woke up this morning to soak her and noticed that she was limping and when she walked, one leg won't come out. I gave it a day to see if it would get better buy it hasn't. She was walking around normal just yesterday. She is eating normal and poops everyday. Her shell feels normal and she is not lethargic. I tried to touch that leg and i can still feel it move and the little pressure that her leg pushes on my finger. With three limbs right now, she is losing balance and falling more.

I think she is about 5 months old and i have been feeding her spring mix with occassional bok choy and cactus pad. I sprinkle calcium whenever I remember to. The mvb i use is only 2 months old so i hope it hasn't lost it's uv potency yet. The weather has not been ideal dor being outdoors. Her ambient temperature is around 88 degrees.

I don't know if tortoises can sprain a leg or if the situation is more serious. I'm just looking for advice on what to do. It breaks my heart to see her this way.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
Does soaking her help? Maybe the warm water would loosen it up? I would make a vet appointment possibly and see if you can get an x-ray, maybe she flipped over and twisted it trying to flip softback upright.

Robertchrisroph

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Ukiah Ca.
Is it me or your pic is of your baby? I don't mean anything by this, is your baby standing up? yes they can pull things, sprain things, break things. There poor little bones. I hope your baby feels better real soon

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
See if you can see something that might be poking her and that's why she doesn't want to extend her leg. Also try putting her in a warm soak but in enough water that she can't touch bottom and has to swim to see if she will use it then. If nothing comes of any of these things, you may need to see a vet with her.

BeeBee

Colorado
I soaked her for an hour in the morning and again for an hour at night. She doesn't like soaking so the whole time she spends her energy on getting out, but it did not help. I tried to put enough water to make her float this morning but without that leg there for balance, she was having a hard time keeping her head above water.

I also inspected the area multiple times throughout the day and so far I havent seen anything poking at her.

The picture for my profile is old. It was taken when I just got her. She doesn't have anything like that in her enclosure that puts her at a risk of flipping over.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Sounds like you have two choices. 1-take her to a vet for possible X-rays. 2-wait and keep her on low activity and see if it heals on its own. Maybe @Yvonne G has expereinced this before or something like it. She has rehabbed many

Robertchrisroph

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Ukiah Ca.
It does not sound to good that when you filled the tub up to far that the leg did not come out to save its life. (sorta). if it was my tort I would make a x-ray appointment. Sorry no more help here

fanofthedog

5 Year Member
Beebee
Im so sorry about your baby's leg- sounds really painful and scary! I think its great that pooping and eating are still normal. I think that you might have to get an X-ray if it doesnt right itself soon! Good luck to you both!!!!

motero

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Is it swollen? If it was broken there would be swelling. I have had babies act the same way who had been bitten by ants. It was more than a week before they felt better and used the limb again.

BeeBee

Colorado
I ended up taking her to the Vet. The doctor couldn't find anything wrong with her leg and he inspected that leg extensively. So he just took her and gave her some anti-inflammatory shot to make her more confortable and wanted me to monitor her conditions for a week. If the leg is not better, then I will have to take her back for x-rays and stuff.

Its been 5 days since her injury and there seem to be a bit of an improvement, but pretty minor.

I'll keep updating. Thank you everyone for your advice and well wishes.