Sulcata makes whistling noise

Barrythetort

Location (City and/or State)
United kingdom
I have a sulcata tortoise around 4 years old, as it has got bigger it seems to make a whistling noise as it breathes ithrough its nostrils, is this normal or is it a potential respitory infection. It has been going in the garden most days while the warm weather persits. It lives in a tortoise table in the house with a uv basking lamp. It is growing very fast and is seems very healthy and is eating well.

many thanks…

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
We need a lot more info. Indoor enclosure details, lighting, heating, diet, substrate, temps, humidity etc, etc.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
What substrate are you using?
I'm wondering if he has some stuck in his nostrils.
If you post some pics of his enclosure that will help.

Barrythetort

United kingdom
What substrate are you using?
I'm wondering if he has some stuck in his nostrils.
If you post some pics of his enclosure that will help.
Hi lyn,
I am using a small wood bark type substrate, I’ve tried looking in his nostrils but they are difficult to see if anything is stuck. He lives in a wooden tortoise table with a basking lamp at one end. I am wondering if I should get a warm humidifier. I bathe him once a day in warm water for 15 mins. He very healthy and eats really well but just sounds like Darth Vader off Star Wars.

thanks

phil

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hi lyn,
I am using a small wood bark type substrate, I’ve tried looking in his nostrils but they are difficult to see if anything is stuck. He lives in a wooden tortoise table with a basking lamp at one end. I am wondering if I should get a warm humidifier. I bathe him once a day in warm water for 15 mins. He very healthy and eats really well but just sounds like Darth Vader off Star Wars.

thanks

phil
Humidifiers aren't generally recommended because torts can aspirate the droplets which can cause respiratory problems, but maybe @zovik or @ZenHerper @Tom or @Yvonne G will know if it would help in this case.

Have you checked the sulcata caresheet to make sure your temps. humidity and substrate etc are OK?
Photos would show if there could be anything affecting him and you'd get good advice on any changes you need to make.
Does he have night heat?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi lyn,

thanks

phil
There is no way to maintain the correct conditions for a sulcata tortoise in an open table. Your climate makes it even more difficult. It sounds like you are also using the wrong lights and heat. Most of the advice given for this species is wrong, so this is not your fault. Here is the correct care info: