Sulcata making loud noises all the time

Status
Not open for further replies.

mapping

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
I just got a Sulcata two days ago. I was told that it's a female and is six years old. When I went to pick her up, they had her in their house and in a box ready for me to take. I picked her up at night. While I was walking to the car with her, it seemed like she was talking. She was making loud noises all the way to the car. Even while I drove home with her, I could hear her.

I already have two Sulcatas. I've had them for two years. I've had them since they were about six months. I never hear a peep out of them. I also had a Sulcata about 16 years ago. I bought him when he was about 5 years old. I had him for about 9 years until someone stole him from our backyard. Never heard him make these loud sounds.

Has anyone had this same experience with their Sulcata? The first night I kept her in the house. She didn't sleep much; made a lot of noises throughout the night. She seems very healthy. Hearty appetite and very active. My other two Sulcatas seem to like her very much. Their about half the size of her.

Thanks, Ang[/size]

diggertort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
cape coral
i have an 8 yearvold sulcata i have had him since he was a hatchling and have never heard a sound out of him i never new they could make sound

good luck

purpod

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Today is my birthday!
Ventura County, CA
Wow, that sounds kinda scary, Ang. Could it be sounds from her lungs, as in a respiratory issue? Have you asked the previous owners if such sounds were something that the tort has always done? Also, as a side note, I surely hope you have kept your new shelled friend in isolation from your other two you already have?

Let us know what comes from this, as I'm sure many are curious... a trip to the vet sounds in order to be on the safe side, I would imagine.

Bestest of Luck!
Purpod

Chucky

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
S. Oregon
My two largest Sulcatas will make a noise every now and then and it almost sounds like a grunt but like I said, every now and then.

Lil' Tortie

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Central TX
My torts also make high pitch cute little sounds too, particularly Kem, my sulcata, when she sneezes. :D

mapping

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
I left a message on the previous owner's voicemail. I want to find out how long she's been making these noises. Today when I put her out after the gardner left, she made a few noises.

Ang

Redfootedboxturtles

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Mapping your tort might have a respiratory infection.

Does it have a runny nose? Or bubbles coming from the nose or mouth?

If it doesnt have a respiratory infection I would not put it with your other torts untill you know for sure what is going on.

mapping

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
She has no runny nose. She looks very healthy. She eats well. She walks fast and has been doing a lot of walking while checking out her new home. I do have her separated from the other two Sulcatas. The other two are half her size. So I keep them in an enclosed area of the yard so that they won't have a way out.

I still haven't spoken to the previous owners. I think they're out of town. When I hear from them, I will post their response.

Thanks, Ang

oswego tort lover

10 Year Member!
oswego co. ny. u.s.a.
hi mapping yes they can and do make noise. my experience was with a 17 inch female who had just dug her first burrow 21/2 feet into my tortoise yard. 3 days after first digging it i needed to take her from it. she twisted and growled at me and i had to wait until she left of her own accord. i also checked for bubbles in her nose but she was fine and then i remembered reading holger vetters chelonian library book on leopards and african spurred tortoise page 79 "an afr spr tortoise may virtually foam with fury ,emit growling and puffing sounds and its not rare for a specimen to attack an adversary. they may ram or attempt to bite."..so i would think it was afraid. .....................ed

drgnfly2265

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
FLORIDA
Wow, that is very interesting. My sulcata might give me a hiss when he goes in his shell fast or just a sneeze every now and then. I didn't know that they could growl.

Jamie

1 Sulcata (Bowser)

www.myspace.com/bowsertortoise

:rolleyes:

floridajake

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
You said she was talking. What sort of noises was she making. Mine knows how to sing "Old McDonald had a farm" say "Hey good lookin' how are you? Come on over here, give me a kiss, I love you, hello, goodmorning, goodnight, and scratch". Oh wait, that is my amazon parrot. My sulcata only hisses when it retreats into it's shell. Seriously though, what sort of sounds does your sully make?

mapping

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
She makes noises like a cat. It's hard to describe, though. It's kind of a screeching, loud noise.

I just spoke to the previous owner last night. He acted somewhat surprised when I said she's been making these noises since the day I picked her up. He said she makes those noises when she's in distress. He rarely heard the noise. But he said she was probably making the noise when I first picked her up because they had put her in a box. The owner wasn't there when I went to pick her up, just his sons.

When I let her roam the entire backyard and let her choose her resting place, she was fine. If I bring her in the house for the night or put her in a box for her to sleep in, she will make noises throughout the night. I sleep with my back bedroom door open because it's warm at night. I can hear her through the night. It seems like she doesn't sleep much.

So after speaking with the previous owner, I decided to let her choose where she wants to sleep. So now she does not make any noise. She looks very healthy. She has plenty of grass. She eats a lot and walks fast.

Maybe I'll try to record her sounds and post them.

Thanks to everyone for your responses.

Angie

purpod

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Today is my birthday!
Ventura County, CA
Well, perhaps you should take her to a vet and see what he has to say about such noises? Altho it sounds like since you've allowed her to find her own sleeping area, such distress may be lessened and allow her to rest peacefully..? I wish you well, Angie ~

Take care,
Purpod

tasena

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Another common name for a sulcata is a "crying tortoise" this is according to one author I recently read. Mine makes noises which sounds like what you are describing when he is pooping.

ZippyButter

10 Year Member!
Texas/Cal.
You can also check on the CTTC website, there is a section that features vocalization of some of the tortoises, and you could hear the sound they make, quite interesting.

Minh

mapping

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Thanks for the info. I will definitely check out that forum.

Angie

ZippyButter

10 Year Member!
Texas/Cal.
Angie,

Hope you could hear the sound of sulcatta, and hope it is the same noise that your torts make.

Minh

Status
Not open for further replies.