Sulcata near coast/saltwater?

Rex1718

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
SC
I’m going on vacation in June to a house in edisto island. I normally have my best friend take care of my tortoise, but unfortunately he is out of town the same week.
I thought of taking Rex with us, but not sure if the salty humid air would hurt her. I don’t know where I read that Sulcatas couldn’t handle the air close to the coast. Hopefully someone can enlighten me. Thanks in advance

Bee62

Germany
I’m going on vacation in June to a house in edisto island. I normally have my best friend take care of my tortoise, but unfortunately he is out of town the same week.
I thought of taking Rex with us, but not sure if the salty humid air would hurt her. I don’t know where I read that Sulcatas couldn’t handle the air close to the coast. Hopefully someone can enlighten me. Thanks in advance
I can`t imagine why humid, salty air should hurt a sulcata tortoise. How long you have to drive to your vacation house ? I would rather fear that a long car ride and a new environment is not good for your tort.

Rex1718

5 Year Member
SC
I can`t imagine why humid, salty air should hurt a sulcata tortoise. How long you have to drive to your vacation house ? I would rather fear that a long car ride and a new environment is not good for your tort.
It’s only about an hour drive. Rex actually rides really well. Most of the time he eats a snack on a ride.
The new environment might stress her some, but she is pretty adventurous.
Thanks for your input