Sulcata needs Home

Status
Not open for further replies.

TortieGal

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Oregon
I was looking in Craigs list and there's someone trying to rehome a 2 year old Sulcata that has been living in a 5 Gal tank. ( In Eugene, Oregon). Just wanted to let everyone know in case someone can rescue the poor guy. I feel bad for him.
If you look it up she spells it Solcata.
Sue

M

Maggie Cummings

I don't do rescues anymore. But I am meeting someone from the African Tort list and we are going together to rescue that Sulcata. I am only going along because the other person is new to tortoises and I'm going to see what condition the tort is in. It's supposed to be 3 or 4 years old and only inches in size. I'm only going along to offer advice...

TortieGal

5 Year Member
Oregon
I am so happy to hear that someone is going to help that little guy, Thanks Maggie. Please let us know what you find out. The poor guy couldn't even get out from under the light in a tank that small.

M

Maggie Cummings

So of course we had to go rescue that Sulcata on the hottest day ever in Oregon. Because it's normally so cool here when I had my new motor put in my car I didn't pay the extra $1200 for a new air conditioner compressor. So I gave the IROC a beauty bath and head off on my adventure. I went south about 40 miles to meet someone I didn't know in the Mickey D's. I had an ice cream cone while I was waiting. It was good! I haven't said before that the head/neck injury has caused me to have a hard time leaving my house. So it really was an adventure for me. Anyhow, I digress, I was meeting someone I didn't know from the African Tort list. She showed up in a Nissan 300 ZX really cool car. It was red. We had burger's and we just chatted away like we had always been friends. It was so cool, because I don't have any female friends. Time passed too fast and we hopped in her car (air conditioned) and headed out of town. We went on 2 lane twisty roads in just the most beautiful country, big tall broad shade trees were hanging over the road. It got to be a pretty small road too. But we went straight to her house. The kids were in the pool and we met Kimi. She had what was supposed to be a 3 yr old Sulcata in a 20 gallon salt water tank. He was on that calci sand. He was small. I would put him at 1 to 2 years but not 3. He had slight pyramiding. I made some comment about the sand and she said that's what the guy at Reptile World had sold her. He told her all she had to feed the tortoise was romaine and that was the best because it also had water in it for him. He also told her to soak the tortoise once a week. So I had some things to say...nicely mind you. We took him outside (of course) and stood around for a couple of hours in the heat looking at the tort walking around. He was really good at eating weeds. Ginger and I were talking back and forth, she has a Russian, she just got. He's her first tort so that's why she wanted me to come along. Anyhow, we talked back and forth and it was obvious that even tho Kimi had that tortoise for over a year she knew NOTHING about him. He was seriously dehydrated. Ginger kept asking me questions and my answers were helping us in the money dept. She wanted $150 for him. I started to get sick from the heat so Ginger made her offer of $50 and Kimi took it! I betcha if we stayed longer we could have got him for free. We made Kimi feel really bad about the way she was taking care of him. Ginger took me back to my car which had been sitting in the hot sun all that time with it's black interior. I couldn't even hold the steering wheel it was so hot.
The sun was pounding down on me all the way home in that hot car and I was pretty sick by the time I got home. But it was a very satisfying rescue. Charlie the Sulcata will have a much better life with Ginger I'm sure. She soaked him as soon as she got home and she said he just drank and drank...
And that ladies and gentlemen is how one completes a rescue. I am so proud of Ginger and I know Charlie will have a good life with her...heck, I shoulda took pictures...

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
that is good to hear, cheers.

Traveller

5 Year Member
Ontario, Canada
This is a great outcome for the little Sulcata.
Good on you Maggie.
I've been reading all these rescue stories and they've
inspired me to contact our local SPCA and the vets
I used to work for and get my name out there,
in case there are unwanted torts in our area.
Anyway sorry for the threadjack but, it's so nice
to hear about successes.

TortieGal

5 Year Member
Oregon
I'm so happy!!! Charley been rescued! Bless your heart Maggie, sorry you had to suffer the nasty heat we had. Maybe we will see Ginger and Charley here on the forum.
Thanks for sharing the story.

M

Maggie Cummings

Traveller said:
This is a great outcome for the little Sulcata.
Good on you Maggie.
I've been reading all these rescue stories and they've
inspired me to contact our local SPCA and the vets
I used to work for and get my name out there,
in case there are unwanted torts in our area.
Anyway sorry for the threadjack but, it's so nice
to hear about successes.

You didn't hijack this thread, don't worry about it....that's exactly what you have to do, get your name out there. I am always surprised when somebody that I don't know, knows me. Just last summer I got an email from someone in New England who does rescue work and she asked me if I would take a box turtle with eye problems, and last year here in Oregon I got a call from the SPCA in a city several hundred miles away asking me if I would take a male Russian who lost a leg to a lawn mower. It was a female box turtle not a male Russian, ha ha... but I wonder how did those people know me? So get your name out there and people start calling you with turtles...

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
I'm so glad to hear Charlie got a new home and will be happy and healthy now. Congrats to you and Ginger for his rescue.
Oh and Maggie I know what you mean my air went out just before summer in both my vehicles and wow that 1.5 hour drive in 108 F was tuff. But worth it for the class I took. Luckly it was hot only one way. :p

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Shelly said:
maggie3fan said:
I didn't pay the extra $1200 for a new air conditioner compressor.

Good Lord! You need a new mechanic, your current one sounds like he's trying to rip you off. That's WAY too high for that part! IROC compressor for $250.

Yeah, but it was probably $950 for labor!!

Yvonne

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
Good job Maggie. You should be very proud that you helped Charlie find a good home and you have made a new friend that was worth it right? Yvonne's right though labor is usually more than the parts themselves. :p

ginger

5 Year Member
Sue, if you get me the info, I will see when I go down to Eugene tomorrow if that is true and if they found a home, if not I will bring it up to Salem and make sure it is taken well care of until I can find it a forever good home.
Ginger

TortieGal said:
I was looking in Craigs list and there's someone trying to rehome a 2 year old Sulcata that has been living in a 5 Gal tank. ( In Eugene, Oregon). Just wanted to let everyone know in case someone can rescue the poor guy. I feel bad for him.
Sue

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Huh? I thought this thread was about the sulcata on Craig's list that Ginger and Maggie rescued?????

Yvonne

P

pradenk

TortieGal said:
Sue

if you need to rehome a sulcata i'll be happy to give a 2yr. old a home, i have a lot of room - both in and outside. please let me know - 5 gal is not enough room.

TortieGal

5 Year Member
Oregon
The Sulcata has already been rescued by Maggie and Ginger, but if your looking keep a eye on Craigs list because I do see them on there now and then. Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.