Sulcata not eating

Morty the Torty

5 Year Member
My 3 year old sulcata hasn't been eating for the past 4 days. He lives outside in S. Florida and we bring him in at night if it gets cold. I've brought him in the last 2 nights and soaked him under his lights but he still didn't eat today. Any suggestions? I feed him cactus and spring mix along with hibiscus flowers.

Zeko

5 Year Member
My 3 year old sulcata hasn't been eating for the past 4 days. He lives outside in S. Florida and we bring him in at night if it gets cold. I've brought him in the last 2 nights and soaked him under his lights but he still didn't eat today. Any suggestions? I feed him cactus and spring mix along with hibiscus flowers.

I'm in Canada, and it's very cold. I imagine it's not real warm where you are. These guys need to be 80* ++ to digest their food.

My guess is he is not staying warm enough outside, and is not eating because of it. Does he have a heated outside enclosure? If not try keeping him inside for a few days. I think you'll find your answer.

Morty the Torty

5 Year Member
This is his enclosure. Usually he comes running for his food, but the last 4 days it looks like he hasn't touched it. He especially loves hibiscus flowers so I knew something was wrong when he didn't even touch those:(

Zeko

5 Year Member

Looks like a lot of food out there. Sometimes younger ones won't eat grass, but by the time they are your size, they should be happily grazing.

I have a feeling if the only thing wrong is that he won't eat what you provided, then he is doing just fine. He should be eating way more grass than any other food you supply anyway.

They don't call these things lawnmowers for nothing.

Zeko

5 Year Member
That makes me feel better:) I'll keep an eye on him:)

Just keep an eye that everything else seems right about him.

Not lethargic, not losing weight, eyes remain bright and don't become sunken.

Momof4

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
San Diego
I'm so sorry for your loss:( Marty was really beautiful.