Sulcata not growing?

jeffb

5 Year Member
Make sure you remember happiness is also key for a great tortoise, mine is 80 lbs. Have raised him since he was 1 pound. He is 14 years old. They do grow quite quickly. Have always made sure my tortoise is excercised, and happy. I do not contain him, he has the full run of my house and yard. I have had to tortoise proof these things so he cant be injured or escape, We go for walks on sunny days and this animal can walk 60 square city blocks when the weather permits. He brings smiles to everyone he meets.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
So I found this thread: http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/closed-chambers.32333/. How did you build this? How do you keep this from over heating or becoming too humid?

The CHEs are run through thermostats. If its too warm the heat stays off. I also use low wattage basking bulbs, which save a lot of money and also desiccate their carapaces less. It is a very energy efficient set up, and MUCH better for the tortoises at the same time.

The humidity is very easy to control by adding water to the substrate or letting it dry out if needed. My lower levels of substrate stay damp while the surface layer is relatively dry with this set up.

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
Sorry but what are CHEs?
Google ceramic heat emitter. It screws into the same fixture as your bulb. It puts off heat only, no light. They are best when used with a reptile thermostat. You set the temp you want, like 80 degrees, and it comes on and off as needed. It's very efficient

Razan

5 Year Member
Riverside, CA
He needs to grow bigger before he goes outside all day. Is he eating more now with a variety of foods and getting soaks? What is his lighting like?

Gary20

5 Year Member
Now I'm feeding him fresh grass from the yard, hibiscus, and alfalfa sprouts. He doesn't have any lighting since I keep him outside. Just wondering, can I use an aquarium instead of building a chamber. Petco is having their dollar per gallon sale (10g tank = $10). I was thinking of keeping him in the tank until he out grows it then disinfecting it and using it for fish. I also have 2 fish tanks.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Now I'm feeding him fresh grass from the yard, hibiscus, and alfalfa sprouts. He doesn't have any lighting since I keep him outside. Just wondering, can I use an aquarium instead of building a chamber. Petco is having their dollar per gallon sale (10g tank = $10). I was thinking of keeping him in the tank until he out grows it then disinfecting it and using it for fish. I also have 2 fish tanks.

Fish tanks aren't big enough. The largest size you wil find will be a 135 and those are only 72x18. Its just too small of a foot print. Tortoises need room to move about. It helps with digestion in much the same way it does with horses.