sulcata outdoor enclosure question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jpezz

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
PA
I am in the process of building an indoor outdoor enclosure (using my back porch and a section of yard) i was wondering if it is imperative to have a lid on the outside part. Hercules is an 8 yr old Sulcata weighing more than thirty pounds and will be brought in at night and if I am not home. I don't think a hawk could pick him up and him sleeping inside means we wont have to worry about nighttime creatures. Is there any other reason I would need to put a lid on?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I don't have a sully. But unless you have bear or big wild cats, I can't think of any reason to need a top. Except, maybe a stray dog? If you don't have to worry about a dog getting into your yard, then you should be safe with no top.

Jabuticaba

5 Year Member
Winnipeg, MB
Hi. I'm new to tort keeping and don't know much about sullies. But, I do have experience with other animals. Do you have raccoons or stray cats in the area? If you do, I highly recommend critter proofing the enclosure, with a locking lid. Raccoons and cats might not kill your tort, but they can cause a lot of damage and stress.

May[CHERRY BLOSSOM], Darwin[TURTLE] & Wallace[TURTLE]
Winnipeg, Canada

Jpezz

5 Year Member
PA
I didn't even think of that the rest of the yard is not fenced in and the dog from the farm across the street wanders over sometimes. that settles it im putting on top. Thanks

Jabuticaba

5 Year Member
Winnipeg, MB
Stray dogs are an issue, for sure, if your yard isn't fenced. Good luck!

What about chain link dog run with a top? You could install some boards along the bottom, so your tort won't get caught in the chain link?

May[CHERRY BLOSSOM], Darwin[TURTLE] & Wallace[TURTLE]
Winnipeg, Canada

Jpezz

5 Year Member
PA
I was thinking about a dog run actually but i want it a little more custom shape, plus i already have a bunch of supplies from a chicken coop I never ended up building. but if for some reason this doesn't work that's most likely what I will do.

Beck

10 Year Member!
Lakeland/Central FL
You could also build an open enclosure of your custom shape inside a fence or dog run. That way you don't have to worry about building a lid per se.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using TortForum mobile app

Sterling Thunder

5 Year Member
Ashburn, VA
The other issue, i would think, is wild animals deficating in the enclosure causing disease transmission. So not a predator problem but an indirect health issue from scavengers. Good call on closing it in.

Status
Not open for further replies.