Sulcata outdoor housing

CapnAwes0me

5 Year Member
Hello all! I was wondering what everyone's preference was on outdoor housing for a Sulcata? I live in Texas close to Dallas and it gets super hot and decently cold. I was considering either purchasing a shed or building a box. What is your preference? If you would choose a shed does it have to be wood or could it be resin? Just trying to do what is best for my Sahara! Thanks all!!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
I'm partial to a large shed. I can't imagine a box that the tortoise has to live in 24/7 because it's too cold outside. With a shed he has room to move around and doesn't feel so cooped up. I allow Dudley to come and go on his own, and once he realizes it's cold outside, he goes back in and he's satisfied to stay in the shed. How boring if that shed were a little box with no room to move around but just sit there..

https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/dudleys-rebuild.111350/#post-1034676

Maddoggy

Location (City and/or State)
Vero Beach Florida
I use one of Toms nitghtbox designs.I have a four by eight foot box for each adult sulcata. Where I live there are very few days that my torts cant come out but if there were extended periods of cold weather a taller shed might be better so you can walk in and feed and clean them.I think an eight foot by eight foot heated shed would work but that's a substantial project by the time you frame ,roof,side insulate and heat an eight by eight shed at today's price for building materials the cost might be a factor.