Sulcata outdoor winter enclosure zone 6

TMNTank

Location (City and/or State)
Huntington wv
I know there have already been many threads posted discussing this but I had some specifics I wanted to ask that I didn't find addressed on the threads I read through. I have a 70lb rescue sulcata on my farm. In the past he we've brought him inside for the winter but due to some recent behavior changes mainly ramming walls I want to build him his own outdoor shed for the winter.
So far I plan to build na 8 x 10 shed with a 6 ft height but I'm wondering about how to bestinsulate or possibly heat the floor of his new winter enclosure.
Does anyone have experience with outdoor enclosures in a climate such as this or more specifically ways to insulate the floor?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I'm in Chicago zone 5. I have leopards that live in a heated shed. I use a portable oil filled space heater. The floor is cement on the bottom, its part of our garage. With insulated wood floor on top.
Each tort has a daily basking light. I have a ceiling fan on low over the heater so it pushed the heat back down to floor level. The heater is in a thermostat.

TMNTank

Huntington wv
I'm in Chicago zone 5. I have leopards that live in a heated shed. I use a portable oil filled space heater. The floor is cement on the bottom, its part of our garage. With insulated wood floor on top.
Each tort has a daily basking light. I have a ceiling fan on low over the heater so it pushed the heat back down to floor level. The heater is in a thermostat.
Thanks so much for your feedback : )

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
You definitely need many good layers of insulation, but definitely a solid floor & then a subflooring too. Dont build the shed too large or too high, but high enough to comfortably go inside & check on your Sully. Depending on the size of your shed, you could build a separate well insulated night box (RHP in ceiling, kane mat on floor) and this nightbox is inside the shed. A lot depends how large you want to make things, and how much you want to spend. Lastly, think about how often or not you have power outages.

Insulation is your friend ? make sure you use “rigid foam board insulation” and not the fluffy insulation with paper backing. That stuff is a mess if it gets wet. The foam board much easier to apply.

good luck.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
You definitely need many good layers of insulation, but definitely a solid floor & then a subflooring too. Dont build the shed too large or too high, but high enough to comfortably go inside & check on your Sully. Depending on the size of your shed, you could build a separate well insulated night box (RHP in ceiling, kane mat on floor) and this nightbox is inside the shed. A lot depends how large you want to make things, and how much you want to spend. Lastly, think about how often or not you have power outages.

Insulation is your friend ? make sure you use “rigid foam board insulation” and not the fluffy insulation with paper backing. That stuff is a mess if it gets wet. The foam board much easier to apply.

good luck.
I have the pink fluffy stuff. Is it as good as the foam board? I do have wood then over it, on the walls and floor but I don't on the ceiling.