Sulcata Overall Growth?

Status
Not open for further replies.

theguy67

10 Year Member!
I have Rescued 11 year old sulcata tortoise, who is about 12 inches long, and 10lbs. Obviously this is not a normal size for his age ( or is it?).

My question is, if I get him on a proper diet ( mainly, feeding him enough) will he beable to grow to a nomal size/weight, or is he out of the growing age?

thanks!!!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
I have asked this question before too. Only time will tell.

theguy67

10 Year Member!
well there's gotta be a cut off age, right? Where they stop growing, or would that just be when they reach their potiential?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
No. Most reptiles continue growing until they die of old age. They reach an adult size and then slow down significantly, but they will keep on growing forever.

theguy67

10 Year Member!
Tom said:
No. Most reptiles continue growing until they die of old age. They reach an adult size and then slow down significantly, but they will keep on growing forever.

That's kinda what I was thinking, but I wasn't for sure. Thanks for the advice!

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
It does seem that normally they do a pretty decent job of catching up to the more norm size. I would make a guess a lot depends at what stage of life they were lacking and what kind of lacking (amount of food, variety to meet basic nutrient needs or what), may be add in a dash of heredity factors, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.