Sulcata People Opinions Please

Status
Not open for further replies.

prc93

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Wisconsin
Hey Sulcata Owners,

Could you look at this ad and tell me how much a Sulcata like this is worth?

http://madison.craigslist.org/for/3873107182.html

Looks to be dehydrated and have some pyramiding, clearly on the wrong substrate, fed a poor diet, and in an unsuitable enclosure. If some of you recall, these are the same people a month ago who posted it as a Secada Tortoise. It seems they've learned a bit since then, but this guy/gal is not in the best shape. I'm considering picking it up, but don't want to overpay or invest in a sickly tortoise.

In addition, how much longer do you think a tort this size could remain in a closed chamber setup? Not sure what my outdoor setup capabilities will be in the next year or two.

Thanks.

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
I'm not a sulcata person, but in terms of $'s, that animal is worth $0 to me personally for all the reasons you stated. I would not pay a single penny for this tortoise.

knechtion53

5 Year Member
SF East Bay Area
I have 2 Sulcatas of my own. Though I am not one of the real experts on this sight I can offer some insight from my own experiences.
The most important thing to ask yourself is if you are in a position to provide the growing needs of this species for the future. They get very large, sometimes quite quickly, they are voracious eaters and can be destructive to landscape. It would not be in the torts best interest if you also found yourself in the position where you could no longer meet the needs of care.
I think what you are willing to pay would be your own decision for your own reasons if you do determine you are able to give this tort what it needs for life.
This forum is such a great place to continue learning. I have made some mistakes with my first Sulcata , now 13 yrs old because I bought him without the proper knowledge and information needed first. Fortunately, despite my errors, he is a wonderful, healthy guy. I have learned so much and am so thankful for all who very freely give information and encouragement on here.

tortoise5643

5 Year Member
Just the tortoise is worth about 100. The cage would not be to bad if it was set up good.

MoireErin

5 Year Member
Knobs of KY
honestly, I would pay the $200 just to get him out of there and give him the proper care, love and attention he needs.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I'm not a sulcata expert either. However, with what I have learned on this forum. That tortoise has been kept in all the wrong ways. I wouldn't pay more then $100.00. See if you can get them to lower the price and don't take the cage. That fella needs to be outside 24/7 now. Take the cage if it can be used for an aquarium or for future hatchlings.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
The price is reasonable, but understand that this tortoise has been cared for all wrong and there is no way to assess what the health of this tortoise is on the inside. Wrong diet, dehydrated, wrong and potentially dangerous substrate, looks like a lack of sunshine and exercise (I could be wrong, just speculating based on the ignorance demonstrated in the rest of the ad). It may be that you get this tortoise, feeds it right, get it in the right enclosure with the right temps, get it outside in a large grazing area when the weather is nice, and it turns out perfectly fine and healthy. Or, it might have internal organ damage due to the poor diet and dehydration, it may have and intestinal obstruction or partial obstruction, or a host of other possible problems and die within weeks of you getting it.

It's not a bad gamble, and you will probably come out of it fine, but you ARE taking a chance. Why not just spend less money and get a well started baby from one of the many forum breeders here that produce healthy ones and care for them correctly and well? Austin, Lance, me and several others all have healthy babies that have been well started and well cared for since day one. If you are looking for a charity/rescue/feel good case, then get this tortoise. If you are looking for a trouble free, healthy, normally growing animal to add to your long term collection, I think you would be better served by getting one from a reputable breeder.

mainey34

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
Ok, here is my opinion. I am a sulcata owner. And i have done rescues...how long has the ad been placed? If its been a while, you have that going for you. Next. Thats the wrong tank anyway. Tell them you dont need the tank, you have housing for it. They can sell the tank separate. They will think they can get more money. They may or may not offer the lighting. I would next say well, i have experience in sulcatas, do you? Dont get to informative, like they need this and that. Dont tell them that their tort is not cared for properly. That will squash the deal. Trust me. Just ask what their bottom dollar would be just for the tort. Trust me they will come down on the price. Depending on how desperate they are to sell. And if anyone has inquired. The most you should pay for the tort alone is $75. If they say $100 thats up to you. The tort isn't in bad shape. It needs some TLC. PM me if you need anything and good luck....:)

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
prc93 said:
how much longer do you think a tort this size could remain in a closed chamber setup? Not sure what my outdoor setup capabilities will be in the next year or two.
Thanks.

MoireErin said:
honestly, I would pay the $200 just to get him out of there and give him the proper care, love and attention he needs.

You are willing to pay the fee, then great! That's up to you. I'd personally never pay for a sully of any size only because they fall from the sky around here :p

But IMO this size sully shouldn't be inside a closed chamber for a year or 2. He should be outside full time right now. You could always buy him for the $200 but give him to another for free that could house this guy outside properly who otherwise wouldn't pay a high fee for one in need.

Just a thought..

Sulcata_Sandy

5 Year Member
Pacific NorthWET
I agree with comments above...offer the owner say$75 for tortoise only, stating you are an experience owner and do not need the equipment, which they should easily sell on CL separately.
He needs rescuing and if I was closer I'd do it.

Sandy in Oregon
Veterinary Technician, 21 years of critter luvin'
Schlomo aka "Mo" the rescue Sulcata, "man without a face"
"Larry" the Golden Greek..adopted
Dexter and Lola (Basenjis...show dogs extraordinare)

No kids, no husband, just critters and I'm happy.
Sent from my iPad using TortForum mobile app

prc93

5 Year Member
Wisconsin
Thanks for the responses everyone, this is why this forum is so great. I didn't realize this guy was already too big for a closed chamber setup, I was hoping it still had a year or so inside. Unfortunately, I'm not in a position to house him outside adequately right now, especially with my Greeks being the focus of attention.

I'm torn because I want to save him, but I know I can't give the right care now. I'll keep an eye on the ad regardless

Lilyloveslettuse

5 Year Member
Oregon
This is Jessica's grandma speaking. :) Here, $200 for tortoise and set up is a good price but the poor thing looks SO dehydrated and bored!!! It definately needs a better more natural set up with room to exercise and graze. Our Lily can't be outside 24/7 because of our Central Oregon temps but she LOVES to be outside grazing on grass and weeds when she can. Otherwise we provide her with a swimming pool exercise pen and hand picked weeds to include with her spring mix of salad greens, carrots, celery and apple salad. :) I think if this tortoise was rehomed with a proper enclosure,diet, hydration, human care and companionship and some oil on it's shell regularly it would perk up and become a good pet. :)

P.S. Her normal habitat is a repurposed large rabbit pen with solid plastic bottom that has a mixture of our sandy soil plus nonfertilized potting soil that is dampened enough that she can dig thru it. She has a little box that she likes to sleep in and a terra cotta pot bottom for water. She gets a bath in a plastic tub most every morning also.

theelectraco

5 Year Member
Sulcata are a dime a dozen pretty much everywhere. I personally wouldn't pay more then $50 for it, and the tank is useless so they can keep that.

0.1.0 Dachshund
0.0.1 Redfoot
1.0.0 Greek

Status
Not open for further replies.