Sulcata possible bladder stones

Rice Ball

5 Year Member
Hi,

I just found out that my lovely sulcata Rice Ball might have bladder stones after X-rays were taken last week after two weeks of constipation at home. He stayed at the vets and they ran more X-rays and at first said they were stones, pebbles he had ingested but now since he's still eating like a little piggy and having bowel movements (that was my concern why he went to the vets for constipation) he's leaning towards bladder stones. The X-ray machine was down today so we weren't able to see if anything had moved since the last X-ray on the 5th.

Rice has been getting soaks everyday for a half hour since I got him so I was taken aback when I heard this. My heart dropped when he mentioned this and suggested surgery if they are indeed bladder stones. I'm worried and scared it may be too much for my Rice Ball. He's currently 12" and weights 11lbs 8oz.

Is there anything I can do that would help him before we go forth with surgery if that indeed is the case?

Thanks in advance.

Rice Ball

5 Year Member
Another thing, he's had no discharge but was making these "coughing" noises. No discharge, active, eating normally and now even having regular bowel movements.
I recorded a video of him making this sound but I don't know how to attach videos on here just images.

crimson_lotus

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Massachusetts
How big are the stones, is he unable to pass them on his own without surgery? I know Yvonne often recommends coating some tortoises food with mineral oil to help pass some of the stones, if they are even passable. Poor little guy.

Rice Ball

5 Year Member
Don't know the size but according to what the vet said there are multiple.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Eventually the stones block the urinary tract passage and cause considerable pain. The tortoise stops eating and just wastes away. Most often, when the keeper is aware something is wrong and goes to the vet, the stones have to be surgically removed.