Sulcata Pyramiding Control: 7/22/18

NewTortEnthusiast

Location (City and/or State)
Bloomington, CA
Hello all, thought it would be a good idea to keep you all updated on Steve and George. First Background knowledge.

Last week I purchased Steve and George from my neighbor who is a sulcata breeder. He started my two tortoises all kinds of wrong. Really dry, no humidity, probably not too many calicum rich foods and so on. They are roughly 2 years old and are really pyramided and small for 2 years old.

I am in the process of convincing my parents of the necessity of building steve and george two separate closed chambers, so there can be high humidity to encourage proper and stable shell growth as well as overall size gain, as well as stopping their pyramiding from getting worse. Steve and George have been in a large plastic tub i quickly purchased in walmart temporarily just so I could start their new treatment. I tried as hard as I could to buy 2 tubs but my mom said no since she didnt see it necessary for two tortoises to each have their own tubs. (i am attempting to convince my whole family the importance of having the minimum space and separation between the two tortoises, as well as humidity and pyramiding). Anyway, steve and george are in their see through tub with some dirt, some substrate that i forgot the name of, one big humid hide that i have made into two kinda (a little divider wall) a flat rock where food is placed, and a small plate for water. My brother won't let me borrow his humidity gauge because he's mean, but i know its humid in it, around 80 or so degrees average throughout the day. I put them out in there outside enclosure that is 10ft x 30ft that they cannot escape from, i leave them out there for about 2 hours every day to get some sun as well as eat other plants. I am also soaking them in warm water 3 times a day, roughly every 2 or 3 hours. I feed them mulberry leaves, a bit of prickless cactus and some grass for now. They are overall healthy and active except for their pyramiding. I know I know I'm still doing a lot of things wrong, I am trying my best with originally "supportive" parents.

My parents are still skeptical of all this stuff I need to build for them so they can continue growing and stop further pyramiding and for them to be healthier and happy. My mother is suggesting i buy them 2 big christmass tree storage tubs if i need to do all this so bad.

I have spoken with a few members here, including TechnoCheese who has helped me so much. I believe I will eventually get to build 2 closed chambers for steve and george with proper dimensions and lighting and other equipment. Money is no issue, just getting my parents to understand that Steve, George, and I need this badly.

Here is Steve and George now. George is the one with the worst pyramiding, he is also the largest as of right now. It may be a bit rushy but I plan on updating all of you every Sunday on their progress. Weekly I hope to just show you all that they are indeed growing hopefully, and months later compare their shells to now.

IMG_5428.JPG IMG_5471.JPG IMG_5476.JPG IMG_5470.JPG IMG_5472.JPG

daniellenc

Maryland
Have your parents read up on here! And kudos for researching and trying to give them a better life!

NewTortEnthusiast

Bloomington, CA
Thank you all for your kind words. I’m on my way to purchasing two big Christmas tree containers for the time being. That will be good enough for Steve and George for a few months before I finally convince my parents on building the proper sized closed chambers for humidity as well as a place to keep them in briefly in the future. I will have to wait it out until they understand this. The new containers will do. I will also be buying different substrate, humidity gauge and temp gun. Hopefully everything goes fine.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
What substrate are you planning on using?

NewTortEnthusiast

Bloomington, CA
What substrate are you planning on using?

I went to HomeDepot today and bought a 3 cubic feet bag of sphagnum peet moss. TechnoCheese told me I could purchase some from there, and I got some. Overall it greatly improved my small closed chambers for now. I also bought a second tub so Steve and George are now separated and have more room.

NewTortEnthusiast

Bloomington, CA
Update:
I'm noticing the color between Steve's scutes has gotten noticeably darker once he is dry; like the outlines of his scutes where each scute meets. Is that a good sign? I'll post a picture later.

George's scutes are really dark compared to Steve's, now Steve's is getting a bit darker. Could this be from experiencing higher humidity and being very hydrated, or even the better diet that I am giving them?

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Update:
I'm noticing the color between Steve's scutes has gotten noticeably darker once he is dry; like the outlines of his scutes where each scute meets. Is that a good sign? I'll post a picture later.

George's scutes are really dark compared to Steve's, now Steve's is getting a bit darker. Could this be from experiencing higher humidity and being very hydrated, or even the better diet that I am giving them?
Sounds like grow lines which is good. When you post a pic someone can confirm that.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
I upload a picture of Steve tomorrow, one when I'm giving him a soak and one when he's dry so you can see what I mean. I hope its good news.
Dark looking lines in between the scutes is usually new growth. Does it kind of look like it's expanding between his scutes?

NewTortEnthusiast

Bloomington, CA
Dark looking lines in between the scutes is usually new growth. Does it kind of look like it's expanding between his scutes?

Between George and Steve, their pyramiding had their scutes raised a lot, and where the scutes meet it shoots down into kind of a deep valley. From what I can see in Steve that "deep valley" might be looking smaller but I dont know. All I've noticed really is that between Steve's scutes, the outline of them, is getting darker. So that gap or deep valley is probably filling in a bit now already?

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Between George and Steve, their pyramiding had their scutes raised a lot, and where the scutes meet it shoots down into kind of a deep valley. From what I can see in Steve that "deep valley" might be looking smaller but I dont know. All I've noticed really is that between Steve's scutes, the outline of them, is getting darker. So that gap or deep valley is probably filling in a bit now already?
When you can upload someone will let u know for sure but yes it's sounds like new growth.

NewTortEnthusiast

Bloomington, CA
Here are pictures of Steve. Hopefully you all can see what I'm talking about, the darkening of the outline of his scutes.

IMG_E5464.JPG First picture of Steve

IMG_5472.JPG After roughly 3 days of being in higher humidity and better diet.

IMG_5511.JPG
2 Hours ago. After a soaking but at the moment of this picture both Steve and George are dry and no longer wet. You might be able to see the darkening in the last picture.