Sulcata Pyramiding Control: 7/28/18 (with weight question)

NewTortEnthusiast

Location (City and/or State)
Bloomington, CA
Hello all.

I am back after the first real week of Steve and George being in a rudimentary closed chambers. Around 80% humidity, 83 degrees F day and 79 degrees F night, 3 soaks that last 30 minutes each, and 2 hours of outside time.

I have been feeding Steve and George: romaine lettuce, mulberry leaves, dandelions, cactus, and some grape leaves. I give them terra cotta dishes to drink from but they never do so, only at soaks do they drink. Every other 2 days I sprinkle their food with Repti Calcium. Around 1 PM I give them their first 30 minute soak, afterwords I give them most of their food. Then after their third soak I give them a tiny bit more food and thats it.

Here is Steve and George before. Steve - 214g George - 296g

IMG_5470.JPG IMG_5471.JPG

And as of today, Steve and George now. Steve- 220g(6+) George- 296g

IMG_E5527.JPG IMG_E5526.JPG

So after 6 days(not yet a week, won't be home tomorrow) Steve has gained 6 grams, and George gained 0 and lost 0. Note, this is exactly the same time I weighed both Steve and George, right after their 3rd soak of the day and gave them the exact same foods.

I was wondering if this is too crazy, that Steve gained 6g in 6 days and George stayed the same.
Is this a bad sign?

NewTortEnthusiast

Bloomington, CA
Edit:
It is possible to me that Steve is eating more than George. Whenever I give Steve food he sits there and noms it all up. George on the other hand seems to wait a while, look at it, take a nibble, then some time later eats it all up. Steve usually eats his plate clean. George usually leaves a few strips of leaf or whatever. Should I Be concerned that George hasn't gained any weight while Steve put on 6 grams??

Should I feed George more? Or feed Steve less??

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
If they eat their food clean give them more. While still young they need to have food to eat available all day. The graze off and on all day in the wild.
Also are they separated? The one not gaining might be getting bullied and afraid too eat or is getting bullied away from eating. If they are separated then I wouldn't worry just yet. They will grow at their own pace. Not losing weight is a good thing. Also try adding more variety to the diet, the one might be a pickier eater.

NewTortEnthusiast

Bloomington, CA
If they eat their food clean give them more. While still young they need to have food to eat available all day. The graze off and on all day in the wild.
Also are they separated? The one not gaining might be getting bullied and afraid too eat or is getting bullied away from eating. If they are separated then I wouldn't worry just yet. They will grow at their own pace. Not losing weight is a good thing. Also try adding more variety to the diet, the one might be a pickier eater.

They have their own tubs. Whenever I feed Steve he just eats eats eats. I’ve offered George more food throughout the day but be never eats anymore other than the main time I feed him.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I thought they did have their own enclosures couldn't remember for sure.
The one that doesn't eat more, just might not need as much or there may be a reason going on inside.
Try different things. Even if you try something that's not very healthy for them and he really likes it then you can try using a very small amount of it or the juice from it to spread on the good foods to entice him to eat.

NewTortEnthusiast

Bloomington, CA
I thought they did have their own enclosures couldn't remember for sure.
The one that doesn't eat more, just might not need as much or there may be a reason going on inside.
Try different things. Even if you try something that's not very healthy for them and he really likes it then you can try using a very small amount of it or the juice from it to spread on the good foods to entice him to eat.

Wow, good idea. Thanks.