Sulcata respiratory infection ??

Ccaldarelli

Location (City and/or State)
Largo, FL
I purchased a baby sulcata about one week ago. In that time I have noticed she has bubbles coming out of her nose accompanied with squeaking. She is very active and eats very well. I have been feeding grass, weeds, and hibiscus leaves along with some store bought spring mix (she is still not super keen on non-store bought food since she was just introduced to it). Since having her, her house is kept around 85 overnight and during the day with a basking area around 92. My humidity is around 75% at all times. How worried should I be? Do I need to take her to a vet or is there something I can do at home to stop it from progressing.
I of course and panicking as I want her to be healthy and thrive. I would appreciate any advice you may be able to offer!

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
The best "medicine" for a sulcata is proper heat, humidity and light. Sounds like you are on the right track with diet. Just be sure you are offering the nice tender newer leaves of all the plants you are offering. New, tender grass clipped to about 1/2" length, and the tender, new hibiscus.

Bump heat just a bit to help immune response - never let it dip below 85°. Be sure you are checking the temperature in the coolest portion of the enclosure - the corners at the bottom where the sulcata will tend to hide. A thermometer several inches above the substrate in the middle of the enclosure does not give a good reading of minimum temperature. You want the Minimum at 85°.

Humidity should be above 80%. A good hide will help a lot. For security and reduced stress, but also to hold humidity. I also am a believer in natural plant cover. Baby tortoises in particular seem to do so much better when able to push under a plant and hide. This is also a virtual 100% humidity location for them if your setup is correct. This feature also dramatically reduces the chances of excess stress - which would be a huge contributor to immune suppression.

Be sure your lighting is nice and bright. That with the added hide locations for "shade" will be the best setup.

All this will allow the immune system to operate much better and fight off any issue they tortoise may have.

Ccaldarelli

Largo, FL
Thank you! She does have a hide which is extra humid as well as a few plant covers. When she is not out and about she is in the hide. I will raise the temps and humidity. Is a respiratory infection something that can clear up on its own? At what point would I need to seek the help of a vet?
I also forgot to mention that she gets daily soaks for at least 30 minutes.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
Thank you! She does have a hide which is extra humid as well as a few plant covers. When she is not out and about she is in the hide. I will raise the temps and humidity. Is a respiratory infection something that can clear up on its own? At what point would I need to seek the help of a vet?
I also forgot to mention that she gets daily soaks for at least 30 minutes.

Yes, they can normally fight off the beginning of the runny nose symptom. I would soak for around an hour. Be sure to keep the water at least 85° as well. I put 100° in the plastic tub to start, and then replace the water when it drops to 85°. This is the best way to ensure the core body temperature is elevated to a great metabolic level for this period of time. It also normally induces them to poop in the water - so you have a chance to see how well formed and how much that is. The exercise from moving about in the tub is also very good for them. They often soak contentedly for about 20 min or more, then become much more active in the tub after that. I like that activity and want it for a while. This also ensures good hydration which is also a key to fighting something off.

Monitor weight and be sure there is no big weight loss/change

I would not take to a vet as long as Your tortoise is appearing active and eating and pooping regularly with the changes we have discussed.

Ccaldarelli

Largo, FL
Thank you so much! I will soak longer and change the water as it cools down. She does poop every time she soaks. It is not super formed but also not super runny. I really appreciate all of your advice!