Sulcata she’ll rot?

Betsy

5 Year Member
3F017319-BBB1-4A90-8C7F-7B35F884D857.jpeg F0C7BD66-B2A4-4EEB-A03D-439C2D8B86DB.jpeg 7789A71F-ABDB-4421-B2AF-0B20692C0995.jpeg So I haven’t been on here in a while, since I got my little tort, because things have been going well, or so I thought. I think there might be shell rot on my tort?? I thought that wasn’t possible for sulcatas? His bedding is Eco Earth, a coconut fiber substrate, that I keep moist but not damp, it’s mostly dry under the light. He burrowed under a half log for his hide and I have to clear out mold occasionally if it gets too humid in there. His temps stay at 80-82 depending on the weather and we’re in winter right now in NC. I be attached pictures, the spot I just noticed today is soft and peeling but dry. What do I do?

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
Not shell rot. That actually looks like a rat was chewing on the back of the shell. Seems to be on other marginals as well. The biggest mark seems to show signs of where the incisors would be.

Any possibility a rodent could have gotten into the enclosure?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I agree with Mark. Something has been chewing on your baby. Shell rot is almost ALWAYS on the plastron, where the shell is in constant contact with moisture.

Betsy

5 Year Member
No it’s an enclosed tank. There’s nothing in there but him. It has a lid that is only open when I do it and I’m in a 3rd floor apartment with no signs of other animals here. It’s flaky though, not like a bite but peeling?

Betsy

5 Year Member
0447457C-11FA-47B1-BDD3-F571B6BFBF5F.jpeg 0447457C-11FA-47B1-BDD3-F571B6BFBF5F.jpeg 9FA6515B-F7BB-4357-A3B0-D1A494C71AD6.jpeg It looks like it’s spreading along the side edges of his shell and his middle is getting softish.

Bambam1989

East Texas
I agree that it's not shell rot. To me it looks like he is damaging the shell against something, causing abrasions.
May we see some photos of the inside of the enclosure?

Betsy

5 Year Member
E45BAE31-5A52-46A9-B9CA-487494D5E2A8.jpeg 2C3ADE1D-89F6-4F9B-88E0-DBD284D299F6.jpeg 9679BE50-0D1D-4A05-B0E4-B0A7A8FC3E6C.jpeg Sure. Would that affect his soft underbelly too? Or is it softish because he’s young?

Bambam1989

East Texas
The only spot that I can see in his enclosure that could possibly be causing abrasions would be against the log hide. If he tries to get between the log and his food bowl and then turns perhaps? Moving the food plate more towards the center of the enclosure may help.
Depends on what kind of softness we are talking about on the underside of his shell. Is it soft like a sponge or does it have a plastic Tupperware lid feel?
Does your tort have a uvb light?
Does it receive calcium supplements or a cuttlebone?

Bambam1989

East Texas
Did you happen to have a brick in the enclosure? The pic of his underside looks to have a red residue and in front of the hide entrance has a rectangle impression..

Betsy

5 Year Member
The only spot that I can see in his enclosure that could possibly be causing abrasions would be against the log hide. If he tries to get between the log and his food bowl and then turns perhaps? Moving the food plate more towards the center of the enclosure may help.
Depends on what kind of softness we are talking about on the underside of his shell. Is it soft like a sponge or does it have a plastic Tupperware lid feel?
Does your tort have a uvb light?
Does it receive calcium supplements or a cuttlebone?
That makes sense, but would it account for the major part on the back above his tail? That spot is so soft, has peeled until it’s white. His dirt is deep so those bottom parts of his shell are in constant contact like his belly. His belly has more of a Tupperware lid feel. He does have a UVB light and I have the calcium powder every other day because I heard too much was just as bad. Am I not giving him enough? Or is his substrate just more wet than I thought it’s supposed to be?

Betsy

5 Year Member
Did you happen to have a brick in the enclosure? The pic of his underside looks to have a red residue and in front of the hide entrance has a rectangle impression..
There is a reddish rock cave from an older lizard enclosure that’s under the dirt to give him a bit of a hill and a basking spot

Bambam1989

East Texas
Another question, do you know your torts weight and age?

His substrate is not too wet, in fact it could actually handle more water.
I noticed that there is no water saucer?
I also do not see a hygrometer to measure humidity. Do you know the humidity %?
It also would be beneficial to get multiple digital thermometers/hygrometer so that you can accurately gauge the temp and humidity throughout the enclosure.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
What is the temperature under his basking lamp?
What is your UV source?
Daily soaks?
Where are you and does he see the sun often?

Betsy

5 Year Member
Another question, do you know your torts weight and age?

His substrate is not too wet, in fact it could actually handle more water.
I noticed that there is no water saucer?
I also do not see a hygrometer to measure humidity. Do you know the humidity %?
It also would be beneficial to get multiple digital thermometers/hygrometer so that you can accurately gauge the temp and humidity throughout the enclosure.
The water saucer is normally in there, shallow enough for him to move in and out, but I took it out cause I was scared that it was too much water and causing rot, I’d gone back to soaks. The hygrometer broke and we’re moving in a week so I’m scared to order one until we’re at the new house. The humidity was always around 80 when it was working and I haven’t changed what I’ve been doing to his cage. What do I do to fix the damage to his shell?

Betsy

5 Year Member
What is the temperature under his basking lamp?
What is your UV source?
Daily soaks?
Where are you and does he see the sun often?
Temp is between 80-82 but never under that. And that’s actually measuring at the cooler end of his tank so under the lamp it’s in the 90s or higher, I need another gauge directly under the lamp. I use a UVA/UVB lamp, yes to daily soaks. He hasnt seen actual sun for months because I live in NC and it’s been in the 30s, actually raining almost 90% of the time too

Bambam1989

East Texas
Temp is between 80-82 but never under that. And that’s actually measuring at the cooler end of his tank so under the lamp it’s in the 90s or higher, I need another gauge directly under the lamp. I use a UVA/UVB lamp, yes to daily soaks. He hasnt seen actual sun for months because I live in NC and it’s been in the 30s, actually raining almost 90% of the time too
What type of uvb light? Tube light, compact, or Mercury vaper bulb?

Bambam1989

East Texas
How long have you had it? Some mvb only put out uvb for about 3 months or so. They still provide light but that's it.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Its important to know the basking temp for two reasons:
1. If they can't get warm enough, it can hamper their immune system and ability to fight infection.
2. If its too hot, it can excessively dry out the carapace and contribute to pyramiding.

What type of UV bulb and at what mounting distance? This might be a factor due to the sanitizing effect of UV and overall well being of the tortoise.

How long have you had your tortoise. How much has it grown since you've had it?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I didn’t know that, I have had it for a while. I was thinking of switching his enclosure to a zoo med tortoise house. Would that be easier to control his temps than the glass tank he’s currently in?
Those are not suitable housing for any species of any age. Poor design. You will never keep humidity up in one of those and the dampness will rot the wood and leak.