Sulcata shed conversion

DarkerGraphic

10 Year Member!
I use a Kane mat with a resistor thing...with numbers 1 to 10...so my sister had done this work years before I was involved...so when I needed a base she says"7" so #7 turns out to be 80 to abt 85. Every Sulcata has used them naturally. I think because it's a larger shed with a sleeping box and the mat. All my bigger torts use them. I also use an oil filled radiator heater and the shed stays above 80...View attachment 352608
The sleeping box
View attachment 352609
with the mat in a cornerView attachment 352609
I may enclose the side with the mats a bit more so it feels like more of a hide/burrow.

DarkerGraphic

10 Year Member!
So I relocated the mini heaters lower and more central today, they’re on metal L brackets (screwed) and 5/4 scrap (zip tied). I also ran a 12’ 2x4 to suspend 3 lights (low watts) to incentivize them to bask near the mats. Tonight drops to 30 so we’ll see how they do.

Added a mesh WiFi point and two cameras too.
87AF732E-0034-4DFE-8D3E-5CC88E3A6822.jpeg8AD7F5C8-1A9A-4DF6-B51C-674D076D86AA.jpeg

dd33

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Florida
Should the decks that the heat mats are on be large enough for the tortoise to sit partially on/off the mat?

DarkerGraphic

10 Year Member!
Should the decks that the heat mats are on be large enough for the tortoise to sit partially on/off the mat?
I was actually starting to wonder that as well given Magz post. The mats aren’t small (18x28) and I built the frames to be 22” x 36” thinking they would lounge on them as they often do on big flagstones in their enclosure. I might try bigger frames if they don’t use them for another day. The thing is they’re hanging out in the mulch as they like their bedding.

DarkerGraphic

10 Year Member!
We dropped to 19 last night, the hide kept the temperature in the 70’s. It’s not getting much above freezing today before another low drop to 20 expected tonight. I think I’ll be adding a 3rd oil heater on a separate thermostat set to 70 for future peace of mind. 🤞

I did opt to cover the windows with additional insulation board to seal it even further before the drop last night.

DarkerGraphic

10 Year Member!
It’s been a month with the new set up, everything is working great. My guys have finally figured out the mats, though it took come coaxing. Thank you all for the feedback, I’ll update this thread again once I start on doors and the connection to the outdoor pen.

We’ve had weather all over the past month in temperatures and the shed remains a consistent 70-86 at ground level. I will be adding a third heater on a backup thermostat as it dropped into the 60s briefly when we had 4 solid days of hard freeze.