Sulcata shell growth, from jagged to smooth/straight

Blakem

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
California
Yes, I do.

What else I can do to rise the humidity level??

View attachment 106955
My last post didn't work...so here I try again. I only have a few ideas. I once had my water dishes on the ground of the unit, but that didn't work well. Once I put them on a shelf as close as possible to the oil heater, I am adding water every other day. I'm hoping that it's just helping with humidity. You could try the humid hide box. It should cost much to make. As mentioned, spraying helps tremendously.

Blakem

10 Year Member!
California
I have no idea why I didn't include a picture of my setup. I have the thermometer of my thermostat just past the halfway point of my unit so that it reads the ambient (overall temperature). As a side note, I built my housing so that it can be disassembled in parts. This also makes it easier when I need to make it bigger for her. I took the one with her in it for size reference.

Attachments

• 1417291324289.jpg
    1417291324289.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 25
  • 1417291336768.jpg
    1417291336768.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 27

Prairie Mom

Blake this is such a helpful thread!!! Seeing growth examples on your sweetie's shell helped me ONCE AGAIN:) Like, everyone else, I also needed this push to increase humid conditions and definitely spray her shell more. The difference in growth is amazing and shows me that I need to make improvements. Thanks as always!!

Prairie Mom

This is what I have. Also insulated wall and all double panel window and door.

View attachment 106943 View attachment 106944

California always very dry (15~30% ). We have 3~4 water plate/dish in it, but still at 19%.

I'm thinking putting a humidifier in to see what happen? But we will have rain all week next week.......Let me see how the rain will change the humidity inside.
Beautiful, Steven! Nice job!:)

Blakem

10 Year Member!
California
Blake this is such a helpful thread!!! Seeing growth examples on your sweetie's shell helped me ONCE AGAIN:) Like, everyone else, I also needed this push to increase humid conditions and definitely spray her shell more. The difference in growth is amazing and shows me that I need to make improvements. Thanks as always!!
Thank you! I know we're in completely different climates, but its helpful to learn different ways to increase humidity without a humidifier. I cNt imagine being forced to do it without a natural way. But, it must be done!

Alaskamike

South Florida
Thanks for this. I've been concerned about humidity in my night box also. It varies greatly. I don't have a fan in there , just two water dishes for evaporative moisture. I just checked this morning at its 86f with 45% humidity. I'd like to keep 70-80%.
Looks like a fan will be needed

Blakem

10 Year Member!
California
Thanks for this. I've been concerned about humidity in my night box also. It varies greatly. I don't have a fan in there , just two water dishes for evaporative moisture. I just checked this morning at its 86f with 45% humidity. I'd like to keep 70-80%.
Looks like a fan will be needed
I currently dint use a fan, but they seem useful in increasing humidity.